Topic: Early transmission side plate?

deuce_roadster    -- 06-08-2011 @ 5:56 PM
  HI Mike,
In my 40 stuff I have this one side shift cover that is different from all the others. Differences I find are 1, obvious 2nd/Hi lever 2, NO reinforcing webs inside, 3, 2nd/Hi shift fork has wider "flares" (see second picture)
This cover has a "1" cast in the front where all my others have larger numbers and the arms are 01A numbers.
Is this part of the early stuff like the first oil filter, grille trim etc?
What is the tentative date for a new 40 book?

deuce_roadster    -- 06-08-2011 @ 5:57 PM
  Inside picture of side shift plate.

kubes40    -- 06-08-2011 @ 6:57 PM
  I have yet to get to this part within my research.

I can offer no completion date at this time. I am working steadily on this project in order to provide the most detailed, accurate and definitive 40 book to date. Personally (and I am certain you'd agree) it's better to take a bit more time and "get it right".
Kind regards,
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 6-9-11 @ 6:42 AM

deuce_roadster    -- 06-08-2011 @ 7:28 PM
  Was told by someone that this early side shift cover only had adjustments on the 2nd/Hi arm, that the low/rev one didn't have an adjustable clevis. To adjust it you had to loosen the mast jacket and rotate it. IF true that would be a pretty good reason to change the shift rod.
A friend of mine who bought out a couple of dealers old stock has new 21A arms that are almost identical to the 01As. Main difference is the small shaft where the rod goes on is about 1/8" longer. Was told that was for some anti rattle washer or something on the later cars so I think the 01A arm was 40 41. I was going to use the new 21A arms until I found good 01As for my cars that will be judged.

Completely agree on taking your time to get things right. Things are simply either right or they aren't!

Thanks for your help and work on the book.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=3206