Topic: '40 Rear View Mirror

mdsbob    -- 03-22-2011 @ 12:46 PM
  Looking for confirmation on the correct rear view mirror.
Do the convertible and the wagon share the same interior rear view mirror?
Are they the same mounting bracket with the hole for the radio antena?
C & G shows a reproduction one available, but with no picture with a part # of 01A-17690. I know they typically use original Ford part numbers. Would this be the correct part # for the Wagon & COnvertible?
Thanks,
Bob

Bob
E-V-8 Club Member

kubes40    -- 03-22-2011 @ 2:25 PM
  Hi Bob, The mirror heads are the same in the closed and open cars as well as wagons.
The brackets are very much different.
The convertible and wagon utilize the same mirror and bracket. The bracket does have the pass holes for the antenna.
The one that C&G sells for the convertible & wagon is about as close to the real McCoy as you're likely to find. It is brass vs. the original pot metal. Once painted and installed it will most likely pass scrutiny.
I did not locate a bracket with #01A-17690 in the C&G catalog. However, I did locate #01A-17690-B which they list for the '40 convertible and wagon.
Hope this helps.
Mike Kubarth

mdsbob    -- 03-22-2011 @ 5:19 PM
  Mike,
Thanks for your response.
What is/how do you tell the difference between say the mirror bracket for a coupe vs. wagon/convertible?

Bob
E-V-8 Club Member

kubes40    -- 03-23-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  Hi Bob,
The quickest and easiest way is the fact that the open car / wagon bracket installs flat against the center windshield molding while the closed car bracket mounts above the windshield and has a completely different offset.
The open car bracket has the mirror mount off center while the closed car mirror mount is centered.
I can email pictures to you directly if you desire. I'll need your email address.
Mike

mdsbob    -- 03-23-2011 @ 6:45 PM
  Mike you have a PM.

I called C&G and they are out of stock on the mirror. Also, whoever their supplier was is no longer providing them.
I also asked for maybe another vendor that might have been supplied by the same source to see if maybe someone still had one in stock. The only reference they gave me was C.W. Moss and they didn't have one and said that it is "discontinued".
If anyone has a lead on one it would be appreciated.
Bob

Bob
E-V-8 Club Member

kubes40    -- 03-24-2011 @ 6:55 AM
  Hi Bob,
Picture below depicts a NOS bracket for a
convertible / wagon.
Kind regards,
Mike

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-24-11 @ 6:59 AM

fordor    -- 03-29-2011 @ 7:14 PM
  Not to jump the topic, but can someone tell me what color the mirror is suppose to be on a 40 fordor deluxe sedan and where I might obtain the paint?

Thanks,

Bob L.

supereal    -- 03-30-2011 @ 9:54 AM
  The last '40 mirror I bought came from Drake, 68-17682-H. It was painted brown, and is an oval shape. Even though it wasn't "correct" I have it on my '47 convertible. I couldn't locate the rectangular mirror, and the double image in the glass of the one on the car was distracting, to say the least. I suspect lots of parts will disappear from the market as vendors cull out slow sellers.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2789