Topic: Dash finish

beau    -- 11-01-2010 @ 12:11 PM
  Ok, my PPG supplier has mixed me 4 oz. cans of the proper laq. colors , I,m going to spray these onto prepared pieces of metal then take them back to him and have them match these to modern mix ,,, now in studying the barn find car I notice that the dash appears to have been painted completly with the lighter color before the Maroon was applied , this will give the maroon a base color to build from. Is this the correct way that ford intended or has everyone just been spraying these as 2 different colors with no base color behind to aid in the color tone ?

kubes40    -- 11-01-2010 @ 1:41 PM
  I've done mine as you are suggesting. That is, the entire dash maroon and then the metallic sand over that.

beau    -- 11-02-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  No,,, Ford painted this one the lighter Metallic color first then applied the Darker Maroon on top ,, which would give the maroon a base color to build from.. by doing it the other way Metallic sands over Maroon your Lightier color will be darker than intended.

kubes40    -- 11-02-2010 @ 11:51 AM
  I have no disagreement with you in regard to how Ford did this.
I can tell you that I have restored a number of 40 Fords to 997+ points and the dashes are beautiful.
there are as you know different methods to achieve the same result.

beau    -- 11-04-2010 @ 12:24 PM
  ((GRIN ))) thats why I'm here,, To learn what you'll known,,,,

kubes40    -- 11-04-2010 @ 2:21 PM
  Oh trust me... I have lots to learn. it seems the more I do understand, the more I realize how much remains to learn. Interesting most days. Frustrating on others

beau    -- 11-11-2010 @ 1:20 PM
  Here is the DDL that my PPG dealer mixed up,,, how do these look

TomO    -- 11-15-2010 @ 8:31 AM
  it is difficult to tell colors on a photo displayed on a monitor. Every monitor displays color a little different. I would find an example that looks correct to you and then compare the colors. Both colors look a little off on my monitor.

Tom

beau    -- 11-16-2010 @ 7:45 AM
  I know what you mean by the colors looking off,,, I took about 25 pics in sun light, shaded outside ,, inside with direct light and soforth,, but everytime that I brought the pics up on my monitor they just didn't match my test piece ,, darn modern tech just doesn't compare to the real thing. THanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2113