Topic: door assembly

shogun1940    -- 10-01-2010 @ 6:28 AM
  Mike do you have any pictures of a 40 convvertable door . the little chrome pieces on the inside around the latch. My upholstry guy and I differ on how they go on , with that little chrome nut . thanks George

kubes40    -- 10-02-2010 @ 2:12 PM
  Unfortunately I do not have any photographs of this detail on my computer.

The nut you speak of is reverse thread as you no doubt are aware. The 'barrel' of this nut goes through the chrome plated escutcheon plate at the edge of the door and threads on to the end of the door handle (shaft). Subsequently, a cadmium plated THIN round head screw goes through the barrel nut and threads into the end of the door handle (shaft).
An identical screw goes through the remaining hole in the escutcheon and threads into the door latch assembly.
I hope this clears up the disagreement

Mike Kubarth

shogun1940    -- 10-04-2010 @ 6:02 PM
  thanks mike, are the door handles different on conv. is the shaft threaded?

kubes40    -- 10-08-2010 @ 5:17 PM
  The end of the handle shaft is threaded. I do not recall the pitch but will look it up if desired.
The threads are reversed. In other words... "lefty - tighty, righty - loosy"

shogun1940    -- 10-08-2010 @ 6:25 PM
  thanks Mike I have the two big pieces and only one nut , guess I will put an add in the wanted section. Its amazing how one guy can loose so many parts. Of course it was over 20 years ago i took it apart.

kubes40    -- 10-08-2010 @ 7:35 PM
  Hey George, I think Carpenter has the nuts. If not, let me know. I may have extras...

shogun1940    -- 10-10-2010 @ 3:19 PM
  carpenter sells them as a kit I think, I am still digging in nthe barn and finding all kinds of stuff, most of it to be thrown away.How soon before you book is ready??????

shogun1940    -- 10-10-2010 @ 3:20 PM
  carpenter sells them as a kit I think, I am still digging in nthe barn and finding all kinds of stuff, most of it to be thrown away.How soon before you book is ready??????

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=1943