Topic: Sedan Delivery Rear Door Hinges

alanb2337    -- 09-21-2010 @ 9:54 AM
  I recently acquired a 1940 sedan delivery that has been in a barn for 25+ years. I've been told that the Early Ford V-8 Club is the place to go to get answers. This is my first post and hopefully someone can help.

My delivery is missing both the upper and lower hinge for the rear door that bolt to the jam.

Were these hinges unique to the sedan delivery or are they the same as the driver door or from something else?

Thanks!
Alanb

40 Coupe    -- 09-21-2010 @ 2:42 PM
  for the model 78 sedan delivery 112" wheel base the rear door hinges are 01A-7842900 upper and 01A-7842910 lower. I suggest you purchase a copy of the 40 ford Body parts book. many of the retailers to the hobby sell it. In order to find if these are common hinges to another year or body style you try to match the part numbers above to the listings of door hinges on each body style in the book. because the part number starts with 01A these hinges were first used in 40 but MAY have been carried over to 41?? so don't look for 39 sedan delivery hinges to fit.

TomO    -- 09-22-2010 @ 8:40 AM
  The P/N indicates that these hinges are unique to the Sedan Delivery. The Panel Delivery also used hinges that were unique to it. Both body styles were continued to 1941, so the 1941 hinges may work. I don't have a 1941 Body parts book.

Tom

alanb2337    -- 09-22-2010 @ 8:01 PM
  Thanks for the info. I had heard these hinges were unique to the sedan delivery, but thank you for the confirmation.

So for my follow question, did Ford make brand new hinges for a short production run vehicle (since roughly 5500 were made in 40 and 41), or did they raid some left over stock from another manufacturer? I spoke with Wescott, and they suggested that something from a GM may work, like from a 37. Thoughts?

The worst case is I found someone in the Chicago area that has a couple of sedan deliveries and will take measurements and make my own.

Thanks again.
Alan

supereal    -- 09-23-2010 @ 11:20 AM
  Bodies for low production cars and trucks were often made by vendors who no longer exist, making finding body parts almost impossible unless you can locate a donor vehicle someplace. Anyone who has restored an open car or a limited type, such as your sedan delivery, can attest to that.

TomO    -- 09-23-2010 @ 12:21 PM
  You can try to find a Hollander interchange manual that covers 1940. They may have an interchange with another make. As Supereal said, many of the specialty and low production items were supplied by vendors and were supplied to more than one manufacturer.

Tom

alanb2337    -- 09-23-2010 @ 7:57 PM
  I got my homework cut out for me then if I want to find a set of hinges that will bolt on. If I learn something, I'll post it up here for the book.
Thanks for the input from all. I just found a guy in the area that has a couple of 41 deliveries and is willing to let me come over and take measurements of his hinges. Not a problem for me to fabricate my own set.
Alanb

shogun1940    -- 10-01-2010 @ 6:30 PM
  hi I have 39 delivery, it has two hinges on the outside, I could take some pictures and measurements if you need them

kwmpa    -- 02-12-2011 @ 5:38 PM
  any update on the inge situation im in need of a set as well

deuce_roadster    -- 02-13-2011 @ 5:30 PM
  This might sound fishy but in about 1983 I had a 40 sed del that was missing the lower hinge on the rear door. Believe it or not, I found that a VW Bug door hinge looks exactly like the Ford hinge, at least the part you can see that is exposed. Bought a new one from the dealer and I had to weld on material to lengthen and re locate the screw holes where it attached to the jamb but the part you see was right on. I was desperate and that is what I used. I doubt that original hinges will be any easier to find now.
With a bit of work you can fabricate hinges from the VW starting point that will look authentic. Good luck!

Stroker    -- 02-13-2011 @ 6:04 PM
  John Tjaarda van Sterkenburg was one of the designers of the "World Car" predecessors of the Lincoln Zephyr, as well as the Beetle. The fact that a VW Bug has so many early Ford/Lincoln similarities, including the "wide-5" wheels, is tribute to his influence upon both Ford and VW.

The hinge similarity is also evident, as well as fender shape, dashboard design, windshield shape (at least in Zephyrs). Ever wonder why those fiberglass 40 Ford fibreglass front-ends looked so correct as an accessory on VW's?

Edsel Ford finally moved away from Tjaarda's influence with the help of one of his favorite designers, E.T. Gregorie, and they were able to "soften" the severe Tjaarda-inspired 37 with the more rounded 38. John's son Tom, was the designer of the Ford Pantera.

MTBW, Dan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=1898