Topic: Garnish to Window Frame Fastener

fatfender    -- 09-09-2010 @ 12:36 PM
  When trying to install the interior windshield center bar on my 40 convertible, I noticed that the bottom hole was bigger than the upper hole and that the bottom hole went all the way through the windshield frame. Is this normal? The car is set up for a radio. Does the bottom hole have something to do with the fold down antenna?
Thanks
Fat Fender

supereal    -- 09-09-2010 @ 2:40 PM
  Many of the original radios required an antenna that went through the dash and both top and bottom of the garnish, then on out through the roof to the actual antenna. You can see one on page 230 of the C&G catalog. www.cgfordparts.com. The holes continued for years, even though the cowl mount antennas replaced the original. The last plugs we bought came from Bob Drake (800/221-3673). The '40 deluxe called for a maroon plug, 01A-7004395-B. The "sand" color is 01A-7004395-A.

fatfender    -- 09-09-2010 @ 5:10 PM
  Thanks Supereal - you always give good advice. The hole I was asking about is at the bottom of the center windshield garnish horizontal to the hood. The center garnish has 4 holes. The 2 middle holes are for the mirror. The upper and lower attach the garnish to the windshield frame. I can use a sheet metal screw to attach the upper, but the lower hole is bigger and goes through the windshield frame itself. If not using a radio, and thus no antenna, how does the bottom get secured? A bolt and nut wouldn't work since the nut would be seen either from the outside or the inside.
Fat Fender

kubes40    -- 09-09-2010 @ 6:05 PM
  That large hole (fairly parallel to the hood)in the bottom of the center trim is for the wiper control switch. The four small holes (vertical) are clearance holes for the four screws to attach the trim to the center of the windshield. Yes, two of them also hold the mirror in place.
If one of the holes goes all the way through I would guess that at one time there was an antenna 'stop' or 'rest' that was attached THROUGH the center post. The reproduction 'stops' simply clip over the stainless trim. I can send you a good picture if I can get your email address. Or, perhaps you can send me a photo of your trim piece and / or your center windshield area.

The antenna goes through a hole in the center of the dash very near the center trim for the windshield. perhaps 1/2" from it. If the car did not have a radio and thus no antenna, a maroon (plastic) 'button' filled this hole.
Hope this helps.
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-9-10 @ 6:11 PM

fatfender    -- 09-09-2010 @ 6:15 PM
  Thanks Mike. I'll take a couple of pictures and send them to you if you send me your email. Mine is brhunsinger@msn.com

Thanks

kubes40    -- 09-10-2010 @ 5:52 AM
  Glad to help.

kubes40@att.net

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=1833