Topic: Temp gauge or sending unit issue?

Carcheologist    -- 06-10-2024 @ 6:59 AM
  Here are the stats: '40 Tudor; older restoration, 6 volt system, stock radiator. No thermostats - running only straight water with VP Cool Down coolant additive/corrosion inhibitor. Speedway water pumps. No signs of water leaks or blown head gaskets. Temp gauge is original to the car.

I replaced the temp sending unit with a new one from Third Gen Parts 5 years ago. I noticed that the gauge never really goes to full COLD when first starting up after the new sender was installed. After driving long enough for the engine to be fully warmed up the gauge tends to read between the NORMAL and HOT markings on the gauge and sometimes on a hot day it edges nearer to the HOT marking. When hot, I inserted a mechanical gauge probe into the radiator neck to get an actual temp reading and it showed 180* which isn't really what I would call hot. I never see any signs of excess coolant on the ground, indicating an overheating issue. I'm wondering if the sender is slightly out of calibration or is the gauge suffering from the same issue due to its age? Should I switch it out to another gauge to see if it reads differently? Just makes me nervous seeing the gauge reading so high.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

trjford8    -- 06-10-2024 @ 10:28 AM
  Frankly now that you know what the gauge is telling you, try adding a ground wire to the sender to see if that makes a difference to the gauge readings. If you used any type of sealer on the sender threads you may not be getting a good ground which would cause the gauge to read incorrectly. Actually it sounds like your gauge is not that far off, so from a personal point of view I would not change anything.

Carcheologist    -- 06-10-2024 @ 12:13 PM
  trjford8,
I agree with you - An extra ground wire might be a good idea. I don't use thread sealant on water sending units for the reasons you mentioned. I think I'll just keep an eye on it and leave well enough alone.
Thanks for your reply.

fortyford    -- 06-27-2024 @ 9:19 AM
  I realize this is a 40 forum but I have the same issue with temp gauge on my 1952 F-1.Shop manual states that to check gauge 1.5 volts to gauge it should read mid scale.I used a "D" battery and gauge went to middle.There are adjustment on this gauge on back but have no idea which one does what?At 170 degrees my truck reads almost to the "H"?I think they make a conductive thread seal but not sure what it is?

TomO    -- 07-15-2024 @ 8:55 AM
  The sending unit is a pipe thread and will seal without any thread sealer. The reproduction sending units are not very accurate, I would look for a good used one with the KS stamp on it. The sending unit was used from 1938-1955.

Tom

Carcheologist    -- 07-15-2024 @ 8:04 PM
  Good to know - thanks!.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=17077