Topic: Ford Vandals

TonyM    -- 06-09-2024 @ 2:28 PM
  Another nice original being turned into a street rod.

It even has our club sticker in the window.

Please don't sell your cars to these vandals.

78-730B

51504bat    -- 06-09-2024 @ 6:57 PM
  Sorry you feel that way but an owner has the right to sell to whomever they want. If you're so concerned about your car going to a hot rodder than you might want to consider donating it to a museum when the time comes. I'm sure many will disagree with me but the way I see it hot rodders have resurrected many rusted out hulks that many feel aren't worth saving. JMO

TonyM    -- 06-10-2024 @ 4:38 AM
  Yeah 51504bat, but this is not some rusted hulk.

It is sad when a nice car like this is made into another street rod.

I own my car because the owner refused to sell to a street rodder.

And yeah, it is their "right" to sell to whomever, but it's not right for the new owner to rape nice original cars for their "build", which they will sell anyways. Such great artists. Yep, it's their right to keep building the same boring car.

They brag "all Henry Steel". Yeah, all Henry steel but all non Ford everything else.

Thanks for the feedback. Take care.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 6-10-24 @ 4:41 AM

trjford8    -- 06-10-2024 @ 10:39 AM
  Tony, in the real world we don't own anything. We are just borrowing it. The next owner can do what they want with it. Just go have fun with what you have and enjoy it.
Life is short.

TonyM    -- 06-10-2024 @ 12:07 PM
  Agreed TRJford8. The cars are not "ours", we are just holding them for the next owner.

Sorry for the rant everybody.

78-730B

RAK402    -- 06-15-2024 @ 7:26 PM
  TonyM,

Please don't apologize for the rant-I agree with you.

There are plenty of cars out there that have already been modified or are hot rod projects that were never finished-it does not make sense to me for anyone to take a perfectly good surviving stock one and modify it.

Personally, if someone tries to modify mine after I am gone, I am planning on haunting them mercilessly... :D

JayChicago    -- 06-17-2024 @ 10:19 AM
  How do you know that car is destined for street rodding? It makes no economic sense to build a rod today.

I bought a pro-built '37 flatrod from an estate sale. It's show quality, probably cost $80,000 or more to build. I have to sell it now. I'll be lucky to get $40,000.

That '40 looks like it has good value as it sits. Would be a waste of money to street rod it when so many rods are available on the market at much less than cost.

kubes40    -- 06-19-2024 @ 5:44 AM
  Sadly, one of my coupes, a rare factory-built car with a (documented) mercury engine was hot rodded after I sold it. This was a 999-point restoration.
Was I upset? No.
Would I have liked to have seen that car sold to a person that would have cared for it as it was? Yes.

And by the way, I tried for over a year to donate it to the Ford Foundation with no success. The last straw was when I was told they had so many cars they were not interested in another '40 coupe.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

carcrazy    -- 06-19-2024 @ 11:50 AM
  As those of us who have sold cars in the past realize, the only bad sale is a "no sale".

alanwoodieman    -- 06-29-2024 @ 5:36 AM
  quite a long time I witnessed the sale of a 40 convertible restoration, two years later I also witnessed the sale of said convertible after it had been "rodded" seller told me he had purchased the car to rod it and after spending north of $100,000.00 on the rod swap he was selling or at least trying to sell it and the most he was offered $75,000.00. I was kinda of sick cause I knew he had over $175,000.00 in total

fortyford    -- 06-29-2024 @ 3:35 PM
  Kube,I did not know you had a car for sale?Did you by chance list it for sale on here?I know anything you do is correct and beautiful.Are you talking about the Early Ford Foundation in Auburn Indiana?I was just up there last week at the Early Ford Meet.Take my word there is not a 1940 Ford Coupe in the museum at least not while I was there.Could not believe it!There is like 17 36 Fords including a stainless 36 Ford.There was a 40 woody and I think a 4 door sedan there.I think it is a shame that someone done that to such a piece of art!!Sorry just my opinion.

This message was edited by fortyford on 7-5-24 @ 1:31 PM

kubes40    -- 06-30-2024 @ 8:25 AM
  Fortyford,
Yep, the museum in Auburn.
Long story short... it should never be made so very difficult to donate a car to a museum. I put up with the ineptitude for nearly a year before moving on.
The next museum had the paperwork, travel arrangements, etc. done within one week.
That particular car is now sitting in a fine display area built just for it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-30-2024 @ 8:36 AM
  I've got a NICE 40 coupe, yes it's "rodded". 59AB, Almquist intake, chrome 97's, Pertronix, all new wiring, KOGEL hi-comp heads (rare), Red's headers, Smitty's, black turn n roll, jump seats, spotlights, fog lights, signal lights, bumper guards and wings.
Yes, it's rodded but also preserved.
Paul in CT

kubes40    -- 06-30-2024 @ 8:38 AM
  Alan, as you and I have been around this hobby for decades, we both fully realize that investment has very little to do with ultimate value.
I have restored seventeen cars to date, all very high point. Each one has been a six-figure investment even though I do nearly all of the work myself.
Some I was able to profit from, others I was not. As I'd never done any of this with profit as a motive, I have never been upset in regard to any sale.
With the exception of the one I know was turned into a hot rod. Even that one, well, once it's sold, I no longer maintain control over its destiny.
I am a firm believer that our cars will continue to decline in value as they age. I'd started "preaching" that about ten years ago and believe I was pretty much spot on.
There are the exceptions of course but they are few and far between.
The old supply and demand rule of simple economics is at play here.
The supply to market continues to increase as "we" age while the demand decreases as quite simply, younger folks don't desire what we had coveted.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

alanwoodieman    -- 07-01-2024 @ 5:25 AM
  Mike as we both know the Hobbie as we knew it is no more. But I am now mentoring a couple of "kids" both around 40 years old and they are having a ball. They actually pester me about working on flatheads, one has a 49 tudor turned into a hot rod but with one of my built engines, 2 carb, aluminum heads, the other just about finished a jeep with a ford 4 banger in it, and is already talking about a flathead V8. so maybe there is hope but not for full correct restorations but still flatheads.

42oink    -- 07-11-2024 @ 12:16 PM
  HI Folks, I am in agreement with most all of you. We are only caretakers, lose any rights to them when sold, and it is sad to see a nicely restored car rodded when it is done without concern for the beauty of the car (my opinion, they probably like it that way). But, Tony, there was an easy way to have "saved" this car. Buy it yourself. I would have. (if my wife reads this, it was only for effect) Enjoy the hobby and enjoy your cars. One more thought: Which is better, a beautifully restored Ford hidden away in a garage somewhere or a street rodded car with upgraded mechanicals that is driven regularly for the delight of owner and public? I liked the topic discussion. 42OINK

1940 Tom    -- 07-11-2024 @ 7:31 PM
  Good evening, everyone--

I enjoyed reading this thread and can appreciate everyone's opinions. Now, please let me express my thoughts on the subject.

I am the proud owner of a restored 1940 Ford Deluxe 4dr. Sedan. I have owned it over 20 years. When I bought the car (unrestored, but complete), it was always my intention to restore it to the condition and appearance that it was in when it rolled off the showroom floor 84 years ago.

Why?

Think about it, my friends and Club members. When you complete an all-original restoration on these cars....

YOU ARE RESTORING A PIECE OF HISTORY.

Our cars were being built during the tail end of the God-Awful Great Depression, continued through the years of the God-Awful Second World War, and ended up finishing their run as the United States emerged as a world power. Think about the changes that came about during those 21 years - 1932 to 1953. Not only in world history, but the advances in technology in the automotive industry too. Amazing!

I took a lot of kidding during my car's restoration. Friends would say "C'mon Tom, just put a Hemi in it and don't forget the mag wheels". No thanks guys.

Are our cars works of art? I think mine is. To our "hot rodders", I bet they think their cars are too. Nothing wrong with that. Remember - "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Finally - I think there must be some of our children and grandchildren - 4 or 5 at last count, - who are interested in learning about History in their schools. Park a fully restored pre-war Ford car next to a new electric Mustang and see what you get. Yeah, the Mustang will grab their attention, but then show them...suicide doors---tube-type AM radios...roll up windows...brakes with no power assist...no GPS systems....and the biggie, a 3 speed standard transmission! "Grandpa, what's a clutch"?

Enjoy your cars everyone - restored or hot-rodded. Me? I'll keep driving my rolling antique as long as I can.

Tom

RAK402    -- 07-12-2024 @ 4:42 PM
  1940 Tom,

You are a very, very wise man!

1940 Tom    -- 07-13-2024 @ 8:11 AM
  Good morning---

Thanks for the compliment! You started my weekend off on a high note.

How is YOUR 4 door Sedan doing?

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=17075