Topic: New 40 owner; engine stalks

Gene's40    -- 05-11-2024 @ 11:20 AM
  I have progressed from owning a Model A to my '40 Ford cpe 85 HP. The car has been fully restored. The previous owner installed an electric fuel pump. The first time out it acted like it was not getting fuel. Any helpful hints on what to check first ?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-19-2024 @ 2:59 PM
  40 owner
first thing, take the fuel line from front to rear and blow in out, from back to front,
also INSPECT the line ft to rear for anything that may be a problem. KINKS, Rust pits etc
have someone help you, use low pressure, to bloe it out,
use a Bucket to see if any dirt come out, and paper towels
is there a inline fuel filter,
is the orignal fuel pump hooked up with the electric pump together,?
there is no real need for a electric pump, it just might be masking another problem
is the electric pump working ?
a good working original pump with correct flex line , is the way to go,
these cars were made to use everyday, and had no problems.
letting them sit for months, then expect them to start ,
the gas evaporates, in the car, but a good pump with over come this,
this also makes the engine start harder, but also helps not starting a dry engine,pumps the oil though the engine,
ALSO take the 2 bowl brass screws out, have a paper towel under the carb to see if any dirt comes out,
do you have any PHOTO'S and MORE INFORMATION,?
hope this helps 37 Ragopman , Maine

682bear    -- 05-21-2024 @ 9:38 AM
  My father had a '64 Ford pickup that he bought with an electric fuel pump installed. Periodically, it would act like it was starving for fuel... eventually, he discovered that the pump wasn't grounded adequately. You might check the ground...

Also, I bought an aftermarket electric pump while playing with a fuel injection system on a '74 302...
The pump instructions stated that it had to be mounted LOWER than the lowest part of the tank to keep it from losing it's prime...

How the heck do you mount the pump lower than the tank? Strap it to the axle tube? I sent the pump back and got a refund...

Could something like that be causing a problem? Just something to think about...

-Bear

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=17040