Topic: Stock 1940 Ford Fuel Pump?

RAK402    -- 10-16-2023 @ 6:43 PM
  So my 40 started running very badly last Monday. I friend who is much more proficient in Ford Flatheads than I am diagnosed the problem to be fuel related (pump, fuel line, or carb).

Realizing that I had not changed any of these for around 7 years and knowing how unkind the ethanol in the fuel is to some of these things, I thought it would be a good time to rebuild/replace all three.

I had carb rebuild kits on hand and went through the carb-found it was full of silt.

I then changed the flexible fuel line from the firewall to the fuel pump.

At this point the car was running very well again, but I still wanted to replace the fuel pump...

I found that I could not get a new/repro pump that was correct-all of the replacements seem to have the glass bowl (ironically, the glass bowl filter might have prevented the silt in the carb but it would not look close to being correct).

I ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit and proceeded to tear down one of three used pumps I had here. After the pump was all cleaned out and ready for re-assembly, I found out that the gasket for the stamped sheet metal top was far too small and the screen/filter had a round hole as opposed to the oblong hole that would fit the pump. I also found out that my pumps (which appear to all be repros) do not have the clip to retain the inlet and outlet valves-the valves appear to be pressed in.

One more minor issue is that the drain valve is missing from the repro pumps (the pump casting has a place for it, but it has never been drilled out for the valve.

I changed the diaphragm, cleaned out the pressed in valves (they seem to seal well), used an older (NOS) spare gasket for the top cover, and cleaned and replaced the old screen.

So now I have a couple of questions...

1) Does anyone sell the correct re-build kit for a stock 1940 Ford Fuel Pump?

2) Does anyone sell the correct fuel pump for a 40?

I don't mind rebuilding these things (I enjoy it) but it would be nice to have the correct parts.

ford38v8    -- 10-16-2023 @ 7:55 PM
  Find your correct pump at swap meets or online. No reproduction is correct. For your vintage, look for the drain valve, the high inlet and low outlet, the larger diameter cap with no tabs hanging down. The rebuild kits you have on your shelf are likely too old to be fuel resistant, so just chuck them. The one gasket you described as being too small was for an earlier pump anyway. Forget the big name advertisers for anything, count on those who are regulars on this forum and on the fordbarn forum, and those who are recommended by posters on these two forums. Good luck, it’s a good feeling to successfully rebuild your own parts.

Alan

carcrazy    -- 10-16-2023 @ 10:43 PM
  Contact the folks at Yesteryear Ford Parts for new metal bowl fuel pumps and the gaskets and diaphragms for them.
http://yesteryearfordparts.com/

40 Coupe    -- 10-17-2023 @ 4:45 AM
  The correct fuel pump does have round holes for the filter screen, The the "Y" shaped bracket to hols the one piece valve in place is a replacement of post war vintage. Check with Third Gen Auto in Tenn for the correct rebuild kit for an original pump You want to use the new style diaphragm that hols up to ethanol fuel. They may have an original pump that they have rebuilt.

RAK402    -- 10-18-2023 @ 7:21 AM
  Thank you all for your kind assistance.

I did find (at a very good price) a Bob Drake pump (N.I.B.) yesterday. I also have a lead on a good, stock/correct core.

That will be going in now, while I continue my quest for a correct pump.

Thank you all again!

This message was edited by RAK402 on 10-18-23 @ 7:22 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-22-2023 @ 7:14 AM
  HI
YOU can try, they sell kits Made in U.S.A. and rebuild parts, it might be worth try, they have a web site
they even might have the correct pump for your car,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN , Maine

Then & Now Automotive
447 Washington St
Weymouth, Ma 02188
Ph: 781.335.8860
Fax: 781.335.1925

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-30-23 @ 10:07 AM

RAK402    -- 10-23-2023 @ 8:38 AM
  Thank you all for the help!

It is greatly appreciated!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum