Topic: 1940 Ford Convertible Top cylinders

sonny40    -- 10-09-2023 @ 1:14 PM
  Good Afternoon,

I am working on my 1940 Ford Convertible and am having some difficulties with the convertible top. I have the lines all ran and cylinders in place and hooked up. When I try to pull the switch to raise the top it does not seem to be getting enough vacuum. I rebuilt the cylinders and was wondering if they need some time to fill up or do I need to put air in them. I am getting vacuum at the switch. I was wondering if there was any suggestions on this. I have the two tees on the wooden board. I was not sure if there is supposed to be a certain way to hook up the lever with the vacuum lines. Thank you!

kubes40    -- 10-09-2023 @ 1:33 PM
  Sonny, If you have the lines properly routed and the cylinders properly rebuilt, the top should move. Don't expect it to operate anywhere near the way a modern car's top works.
Even with a very well rebuilt system, the top will want to slow / stall at about the halfway point.
Where are you sourcing the vacuum from specifically? A photo perhaps?
When you rebuilt the cylinders, what exactly did you do? Did you hone the interiors of each? Did you replace the leathers? If so, did you use the reproductions? They are too large (poorly copied) and will never work as designed. Did you soak the leathers in oil for a night or two?
How are the steel rods? Pitted?
Did you replace the seal in the top plate of each cylinder? Did you seal the top plate to the canister with a bit of silicone? Originally there was very small (aka tiny) paper gasket there.
Did you use thin wall vacuum line or heavy fuel line to make the connections between the steel lines and respective nipples?
Are all of the top mechanism pivot points in good condition? In other words, no binding and no "extra slop".

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sonny40    -- 10-09-2023 @ 2:27 PM
  Mike,

The only thing I did to my cylinders was that I took them apart and put neat foot oil on the leather as they were good. I had the shafts made out of stainless steel since the originals were pitted. The cylinders work good. The top goes up and down good by hand. I am just not getting enough vacuum. I am taking the vacuum off the intake manifold where the wipers are hooked to. I was going to try and hook them up to my compressor to test out not sure what else to do. Thank you!

kubes40    -- 10-09-2023 @ 3:24 PM
  A compressor? That's just the opposite of "vacuum".

There is a special nipple that goes in the manifold on the convertibles. A larger diameter (than closed cars) hose is then routed under the instrument panel where it connects to a "T" fitting. One hose (smaller diameter) goes to the wiper motor while the large diameter hose goes to the top switch.
Without more information, anything else I may offer is no more than guess work.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16699