Topic: Using HOOD ARM & SPRING SUPPORTS for trunk

budlite28    -- 09-14-2023 @ 2:21 PM
  Has anyone try using hood arm & spring supports for a trunk support in 39 coupe?

kubes40    -- 09-14-2023 @ 2:55 PM
  Why would anyone want to?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

budlite28    -- 09-14-2023 @ 3:09 PM
  because my trunk springs are shot, no one has replacement trunk springs

kubes40    -- 09-15-2023 @ 5:53 AM
  Shot? As in "worn out" no doubt.

They are very easy to rebuild. I'd say that 99% of the time, the only thing wrong are the holes in the arms are worn out. Remove the rivet, weld up the holes, redrill to proper diameter, install new rivet.
Seriously, it's that easy.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

budlite28    -- 09-15-2023 @ 7:35 AM
  I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. The springs are weak & won't hold the lid up. But no vender that I can find had any replacements IN STOCK

kubes40    -- 09-15-2023 @ 9:39 AM
  Okay, I'll start over. The trunk lid supports are easy to rebuild. 99% of the time all that is amiss is the pivot hole is worn out. Fix that and the supports will do their task as designed. Kapish?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

budlite28    -- 09-15-2023 @ 9:47 AM
  ya, sounds easier said then done, thanks

kubes40    -- 09-16-2023 @ 5:53 AM
  I've done this repair numerous times. Welding up the hole is easy. Drilling it to the proper size is easy.
When I remove the original rivet, I grind off the "peened" side. That way, I have the correct "head" for my restoration. I insert the original rivet, build up some weld on the opposite side and grind back to mimic the authentic appearance.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 09-17-2023 @ 8:41 AM
  If you do not care about originality you can do the following; take out the rivet and then find a shoulder bolt that is slightly larger than the rivet hole. Drill the holes to fit the bolt and put it back together. Again this is a quick fix if you don't care how it looks. As an alternative you can also use those modern hydraulic shocks that are used on modern trunk lids. Some streetrod shops sell kits for your trunk lid.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 9-17-23 @ 8:45 AM

budlite28    -- 09-19-2023 @ 11:37 AM
  It looks like you right on the money about the pivot points being the problem and not the springs. The bottom 2 holes are pretty tore up. And the springs seem to be pretty stiff. Next step will be to figure out the best way to make repair on the holes. thanks for your insight.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16672