Topic: Front seat pattern, leather

kenburke    -- 09-04-2023 @ 11:44 AM
  Does anyone have a pattern. Its for the front seat of a Tudor, so a convertible pattern will work. Thanks

Chris.NZ    -- 09-04-2023 @ 4:32 PM
  Have look at seat
photos on You Tube or similar.

40 Coupe    -- 09-05-2023 @ 6:09 AM
  The proper stitch pattern for the leather interior, in a Deluxe closed car is the same as the Deluxe cloth interior. There is extremely little information written regarding leather interiors from Ford in 1940. Ford did not mention the leather interior as an option in their sales literature for 1940. If your car is for show I would suggest not installing a leather interior, this will make your car much easier to judge. As the owner of your car it is your responsibility to prove (in writing) your point of view if the judges do not agree and remove points from your car.

kubes40    -- 09-05-2023 @ 6:24 AM
  Leather in closed cars was an authorized option. It cost about $45 (retail)to have installed.
It (leather option) was not advertised and according to a letter to the dealers it was only to be ordered as a method to save a car sale. I don't recall the exact quote, but it was something to the effect that if a customer insisted on leather or they would walk away from the new car sale, then they could get it.
In other words, Ford discouraged the sale of leather.
The patterns seemed to be the same as leatherette (convertible) interiors for the panels. The (leather)seats were patterned after the convertible.
However, please keep in mind, I was unable to find any document that spelled out the exact pattern to be utilized.
I had witnessed two coupes that were restored decades ago with leather interiors that mocked the cloth interiors. I have never witnessed an authentic leather interior that matched those "restorations".
It is said, and I firmly believe this, that are far more '40 Fords with leather interiors now than were ever built.
I'd restored a few but have never been a big fan of such.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-5-23 @ 6:32 AM

kenburke    -- 09-05-2023 @ 1:07 PM
  Thanks Everyone. And of course, Mike.

kubes40    -- 09-05-2023 @ 3:28 PM
  Ken, I was super happy to see you on the forum. I sure hope you are well and happy

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16652