Topic: New radiator and cooling fan

Av68@reagan.com    -- 08-28-2023 @ 6:48 AM
  1st. I have a ‘40 deluxe business coupe. I’m looking to replace existing ‘original’ radiator with an aluminum rad. I bought a Cold Case because it was a near perfect match in size and inlet & outlet holes. The problem I’m having is finding a cooling fan thin enough to fit between new radiator and existing distributor which is located at the front of the engine ( I believe it’s called the “divers helmet”). Any suggestions? I have about 3.25” clearance to work with.
2nd. When I flushed the block of old radiator fluid, only one side was rusty/dirty (drivers side). The other side was noticeably cleaner? Anyone have any insight?
Thank you. My first time using this Forum.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-28-2023 @ 9:52 AM
  hi
can you post a few photo's
your fan should be driven off the crankshaft, do you have the original fan ?
if so it should work, can you move the radiator foeward, on the frame ?
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman , Maine

carcrazy    -- 08-28-2023 @ 10:04 AM
  A good electric fan to use is from Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts, www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com, it uses a 14" diameter fan. It comes with adjustable metal mounting brackets which you bolt to the outside framework of the radiator. The thickness of the fan assembly is less than 3 5/8" and that is at the center of the motor hub. The rest of the motor is 3/8" less than this. The fans are available as either 6V or 12V.
Don't know why one side of your cooling system was dirtier than the other.

Av68@reagan.com    -- 08-28-2023 @ 11:49 AM
  Thank you for your response. I do have the original 6 blade fan, but I order to mount the electric fan & shroud, this existing fan needs to be removed, thus leaving me 3.25”between rear face of radiator and front face of distributor. With much effort I have about 1/2” of space to move radiator forward but then it’s resting on the back of the metal fenders etc. I’ll try to send some photos.

carcrazy    -- 08-28-2023 @ 12:13 PM
  Use of the electric fan instead of the original crankshaft mounted fan could help your engine run cooler. You can remove the original fan which was located near the bottom of the radiator. When installing the electric fan, place it near the top of the radiator where the hot water enters it. Install it behind the radiator as a "puller fan" as it will be more effective when mounted there. Take a look at the Fifth Ave. website for more specifications on the fan. I think that it will fit your application.

carcrazy    -- 08-28-2023 @ 4:50 PM
  Here are some pictures of the electric fan mounted to my 1937 Ford V8-60 radiator.
The fan is actually mounted near the top of the radiator. Orientation of the photo makes it look otherwise.

Av68@reagan.com    -- 08-28-2023 @ 6:09 PM
  I went to the fifth Ave website. Good information. Thank you for the lead. I will call and discuss dimensions of the fan & shroud with them.

Av68@reagan.com    -- 08-31-2023 @ 3:56 AM
  Thanks for the photos. Why do you not have a shroud? I thought a fan without a shroud doesn’t produce the results that a shroud provides?? It sure would make it easier on me to not have a shroud.

same    -- 08-31-2023 @ 5:41 AM
  are your water pumps working to capacity. Tom.

carcrazy    -- 08-31-2023 @ 9:05 AM
  This car is still under construction. If it has cooling issues, a shroud will be added later.

Dave51    -- 08-31-2023 @ 4:17 PM
  I have a '40 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan.

same    -- 09-01-2023 @ 6:08 AM
  Av68, my reply about one side of block was cleaner than the other was meant for your situation not carcrazy. wondering if water pumps are working to capacity. Tom.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16634