Topic: radiator for my 40 ford pickup

skyoung    -- 07-24-2023 @ 2:48 PM
  A good source for a new radiator for my 40 ford pickup. The one I have is old and the top swells when I drive it, it also has a small pin hole. is there a source other than the usual for an affordable one? any suggestions greatly appreciated. my truck is stock

Steven

carcrazy    -- 07-24-2023 @ 3:24 PM
  The best and most affordable option, most probably, is to have your current original radiator rebuilt.

RAK402    -- 07-24-2023 @ 3:34 PM
  I put a Drake radiator in my '40 Sedan a few years ago.

It works well, but the mounting holes on the tabs that support it were not located exactly where the original ones were, so it took a bit more work to install it.

kubes40    -- 07-24-2023 @ 3:41 PM
  Steven, Are you running a pressure cap? The top should not swell if fitted with a proper, zero pressure cap.
The "tiny hole" can easily be soldered. If you don't feel up to the task, a local shop can surely handle that easy enough.
In this area, there is one shop that re-cores my radiators. About $500. Split core, beautiful workmanship.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

skyoung    -- 07-24-2023 @ 7:51 PM
  thank you all for replying to my radiator question. I am going to see what type of cap I am running. I installed the pressure plug on the drain tube and perhaps the cap is my culprit. I can also solder the pin hole myself. again thank you all. Drakes radiators are very expensive

40 Coupe    -- 07-25-2023 @ 4:57 AM
  If the top tank swells check the overflow tube and make sure it is open to relieve any pressure in the radiator.. Don't run a pressurized radiator cap. You can have the radiator recored if necessary.

Drbrown    -- 07-26-2023 @ 8:17 AM
  Radiator projects don't seem to become "inexpensive". I recommend rebuilding the existing. My (only) local old-timer's shop did a great job, and no shipping cost.

skyoung    -- 09-07-2023 @ 4:12 PM
  I ended up getting my OEM radiator rebuilt, it is still under construction and the price is high but my truck is worth the cost $1,400 shocker!!!

trjford8    -- 09-08-2023 @ 8:30 AM
  Depending on how stock you want to keep the pickup the alternative is an aluminum radiator. They are less expensive than a recore and way cheaper than a new stock radiator. It all depends on how original you want to maintain the pickup.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16570