Topic: 1940 Water Pump

cool 40 coupe    -- 06-28-2023 @ 10:17 AM
  I have to replace the driver's side water pump so I might as well do both sides. My question is what is the best aftermarket water pump to use? Speedway has a pair for $227, Dennis Carpenter is $145, Mac's is $140 and RockAuto is $100. I feel with the price variation there is probably a difference in quality. Has anyone had any experience with water pumps from these vendors or can suggest another?

kubes40    -- 06-28-2023 @ 11:44 AM
  I'd strongly suggest you buy NO repop pump. Instead, have them rebuilt by Georg Haney in Florida.
That way, you KNOW you have good quality pumps.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

carcrazy    -- 06-28-2023 @ 11:55 AM
  I bought a pair of water pumps from Dennis Carpenter back in 2016 for a 1953 Ford V-8 and used them with no problems for 15+K miles before I sold the car a couple of years ago.

cool 40 coupe    -- 06-29-2023 @ 4:26 AM
  Unfortunately I can't do a rebuild. The work is being done at a local garage and he won't tie up his floor space waiting for the pumps to be sent out, rebuilt and sent back. But that would have been the best option.

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-29-2023 @ 7:47 AM
  Make sure he knows about the center bolt in the pump and replace the bolts with stainless. FWIW
Paul in CT

cool 40 coupe    -- 06-29-2023 @ 10:49 AM
  Will do.

TomO    -- 06-29-2023 @ 5:23 PM
  I have had Speedway pumps on my car for quite a few years and have had no problems with them. I had Skips pumps for a while, then one started throwing oil so I went back to Speedway pumps. Skip redid the pumps at no charge and I have them on the shelf for when the car is judged again. IMHO either one of these is an option for a driver. None of the aftermarket pumps will pass a good judge.

I had to grind off part of the Speedway pumps to eliminate the interference with the timing cover, but they have probably fixed that problem by now.

There are 4 bolts holding the water pumps on. One of them is in the inlet of the pump

Tom

Carcheologist    -- 06-30-2023 @ 8:56 AM
  I also have Speedway pumps on my '40 and love them! They are brand new castings with bearings instead of bushings, and an improved impeller design to flow more water. If you are concerned with originality, the housing design is not exactly the same as the original, but they are a quality part.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16514