Topic: Spark Plug Wires

Drbrown    -- 06-18-2023 @ 2:03 PM
  Without cutting into my existing spark plug wires, how can I tell what they are made of ? Who makes or sells carbon core spark plug wire sets for a '47 Ford. Or must I cut and fabricate them ?

This message was edited by Drbrown on 6-18-23 @ 2:06 PM

carcrazy    -- 06-18-2023 @ 8:50 PM
  VanPelt sells the correct spark plug wires for your 1947 Ford.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/igntn-partsprices-pg1.htm

The correct wires have solid metal cores which will live much longer and give less trouble than aftermarket carbon core wires.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 6-18-23 @ 8:51 PM

40 Coupe    -- 06-19-2023 @ 5:44 AM
  The original plug wires are copper wire core Not carbon. The higher resistance of carbon core wires can cause problems which usually show up at higher RPM.

Drbrown    -- 07-03-2023 @ 9:31 AM
  It appears that with a stock points distributor system, either 6 or 12 volt, the solid copper core wires are most fast and efficient in transmitting the spark. With an electronic module ignition system Pentronix recommends spiral-wound SS wire (better than carbon core) to reduce transmitted signals from the wire that can harm the electronic module. They may also be used to reduce radio audio interference. I found I have spiral-wound SS wires which were probably put in when a Pentronix module ignition was installed prior to my ownership. Given my problems with Pentronix modules, I've converted back to a points distributor and I'll change back to copper core wires. On a related concern, pending engine compartment air ventilation (car standing vs moving), my new-ish coil that came from Bubba does get very warm-to-hot and I wonder if going back to copper wire for the faster transmission of spark may reduce heat build-up in the coil.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 7-3-23 @ 9:52 AM

Drbrown    -- 07-25-2023 @ 9:44 AM
  I went to Vanpelt. They have discontinued pre-made sets for '47's as they had problems with supplier. Surprisingly, they don't know what the wire core material was . I got the same wire material ? response from a few others, so buyer beware. Will have to make my own when I find copper wire.

trjford8    -- 07-25-2023 @ 4:39 PM
  Your stock coil should have an in-line resistor. If you don't have one or one that is failing that may be why your coil is getting hot.

carcrazy    -- 07-25-2023 @ 9:25 PM
  Try Third Gen Automotive for the correct spark plug wires for your 1947 Passenger Car- Part No. 59A-12259.

Drbrown    -- 07-26-2023 @ 8:08 AM
  trjford8: Although the coil heats up it works okay. I'm running a newly rebuilt points distributor from Charlie Schwendler. The coil was a spare, is fairly new to being used, and came from Jim Lindner "Bubba". I have a 12 v system and the coil has an internal resistor measuring about 2.8 to 3 ohms. Our extremely hot weather doesn't help; car needs to keep moving to get adequate ventilation air thru the engine compartment.

51504bat    -- 07-26-2023 @ 9:55 AM
  You might give these guys a call. They are a local business and they do have wires listed and also items not listed on their web site.
https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Drbrown    -- 07-28-2023 @ 7:32 AM
  51504bat: Thanks. Yesterdaysparts does sell the wire. It's Packard 440 wire composed of a stranded copper wire core. The copper wire is coated with stainless or nickel to deter oxidation. Charlie Schwendler recommends soldering the end fittings on the wire as he found it noticeably reduced resistance between the distributor cap and spark plug. Note however that use of this type of wire may result interference with your radio.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 7-28-23 @ 7:33 AM

51504bat    -- 07-28-2023 @ 7:46 PM
  I've known Gene, the owner since 1978. Really good guy. He has an absolute stunning Jag XKE.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16490