Topic: Hot 41 needs to chill out - flathead overheating

Shinton    -- 06-02-2023 @ 11:53 AM
  Here's a pic of my 1941 Super Deluxe convertible on a hot summer's day (85°F) with stop and go driving. Clearly she doesn't like it. Any suggestions of what to do to keep her cooler? There's a big aluminum radiator (supposedly new from the previous owner) and I just had water pumps replaced. Wondering if an electric fan might be the way to go here? I'm an early Ford newbie so would appreciate any wisdom others have on the subject.

RAK402    -- 06-02-2023 @ 9:10 PM
  That is a BEAUTIFUL '41!!!

First I would make sure that it is really overheating. My 40 appeared to be overheating for years, but it was the poor quality, reproduction sending units giving a false indication. Mine was never overheating! If it isn't boiling, then you might get an infrared temperature gun or (and this is crude) install a cooking thermometer in the radiator cap-either will tell you if it is really overheating.

I would also make sure that, if you are running thermostats, they have not been pushed up into the upper radiator hoses. There are several posts about that on this forum.

I did install the more modern water pumps with the curved impeller vanes and an electric fan, but I am not sure how much good they do.

There are a lot of people on this forum with more knowledge and experience than I have, so you should get lots of good responses on this subject.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-07-2023 @ 3:32 PM
  overheating problem
did you check for bubbles in the coolant, maybe there is a headgasket seepage ?
you can do this at idle on level ground , fill up the radiator so it is full
and use a thermometer in the coolant and compare to what the dash gauge reads,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

Barney    -- 06-07-2023 @ 6:33 PM
  Hello Hot41,

Here's my less-than-2 cents:
1. An engine with the ignition too far retarded may overheat.
2. Since it's an easy task, try eliminating the thermostats temporarily. While you have them out, submerge them in close-to boiling water to determine if they're actually opening.

My '40 has 170 degree stats in it. On a hot day (85-90), even idling a while, the verified bourdon-tube type temp gauge reads 170-180 degrees. The instrument panel gauge readings are all over the map. I believe it's either the original sending unit or a NOS replacement.

Barney
PS Beautiful looking ride

Drbrown    -- 06-18-2023 @ 9:29 AM
  My "fan" experience with an altered '47. (1) Tried an electric fan only because my belt-driven fan (see below) makes considerable noise at higher RPM. It was sized to fit the radiator width but it did not move enough air in city driving so I changed back. (2) Regarding the belt-driven radiator fan that came on the car, it is a replacement composed of six fiberglass blades, apparently intended to pull more air in than the stock fan. (3) the car also came with a round rubber fan "shroud" with metal edging that attaches to the inside of the radiator and surrounds the fan blades .... its function intended to enable the fan to better pull air thru the radiator .... I did not install it. The fact that such shrouds were or are installed on cars suggests to me that excessive distance between the fan blades and inside radiator face may contribute to overheating in city traffic i.e. when at stand-still air is simply "churded" around the engine compartment instead of being driven out but the fan pulling air in.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16446