Topic: Vent Window Seal Replacement

Jennie    -- 04-18-2023 @ 7:57 AM
  I recently purchased a pair of repro seals from Drake and noticed they only came with a couple of installation "hints". I bought my '40 Tudor as basically a "sh*ll", with most of the non-body parts stripped off (looked like some people were hoping to make a stock car out of it back in the day). The kit came with some rivets and other small parts but no indication of where they go. Calling Drake, they responded like if I had the car, I should intuitively know what to do. I heard there was a '40 Ford restoration book out years ago, but it was out of print. I'd be grateful for any help/pointers. Thanks.

Leon

trjford8    -- 04-18-2023 @ 8:05 AM
  The V-8 Club's 1940 book is still available and can be purchased from the "on-line store" in the left hand menu of this site.

JayChicago    -- 04-19-2023 @ 7:49 AM
  But the book only shows you what a restored car should be. It’s not intended to be a how-to manual, doesn’t give any step-by-step directions.

VanPelt Sales’ web site has some good info on window repair. But I don’t know if the ‘40 vent window is covered.

Or use the search feature on this forum to find prior discussions on the vent window.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 4-19-23 @ 7:54 AM

TomO    -- 04-24-2023 @ 11:12 AM
  My Merc is completely different from your Ford, so I can't give you exact advice.

I went to Drakes site and looked at the seal and my guess is that there may be more rivets than you need.

Look carefully at the seal and the frame. I believe that you should have a hole at each end of the seal for a rivet and a matching hole at the top and bottom of the frame. The copper colored rivets are use in these holes with the head of the rivet in the rubber.

The aluminum colored rivets look like they are for the top vent window pivot.

Use a dish washing soap or a silicone lubricant to reduce the friction as you slide the seal into the track .

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16358