Topic: Best vendors for 1940 parts

gwistrup    -- 02-11-2023 @ 11:00 AM
  I just purchased a 1940 Standard Tudor Sedan. It is in pretty decent shape except it needs just about everything made out of rubber such as hoses, floor mats, running board covers and weatherstrips. I have looked at the vendor's websites from the "links"section and I wonder who is best for price, selection and service? Or are there better vendors out there who are not listed in the "links" section?
Thank you, Gil

kubes40    -- 02-11-2023 @ 1:35 PM
  Hello Gil, Looks to be a nice ol' 40. Good for you!
I'd send you to Mike Driskell for most everything. He's "Third Gen Automotive". Prices are fair, service is excellent and well, you won't find a nicer, more ethical guy dealing in these old parts.
Dennis Carpenter is another good choice.
I tend to stay away from Drake as I simply don't care for his lack of service, etc.
Vintique parts, regardless of where you buy them are nearly always junk.
C&G is a good source as well.
Mac's... NEVER.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 2-11-23 @ 1:36 PM

51504bat    -- 02-11-2023 @ 2:47 PM
  Add Joe's Antique Auto to the list. Good prices, fair and rapid shipping. All in all Joe and his staff are a pleasure to deal with.
https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/

trjford8    -- 02-12-2023 @ 7:46 AM
  I have used most of the vendors listed by others in this discussion. To that list I would add C.W. Moss. I have also used Bob Drake and never had a problem. Pricing is fairly consistent among the vendors, but the cost of shipping has become expensive. You might consider using those vendors who are closer to your location. BTW that is a nice '40. I have two '40 standards and they are my favorite.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-12-23 @ 7:47 AM

JayChicago    -- 02-12-2023 @ 12:53 PM
  Welcome, Gil. This is the place to get answers, as you can see from the replies already posted.

If this is your first flathead, there will be a learning curve. With your background, I expect it will not be a challenge. BTW, thanks for completing your profile so we know where you are located.

If you have not already done so, would suggest you join the V8 Club and your local V8 Club Regional Group. I think you will enjoy the comradery. Would also suggest you buy the Club's "1940 Book". Wealth of invaluable detailed info. Is available from this site's "Online Store".

Welcome!

This message was edited by JayChicago on 2-12-23 @ 1:22 PM

1940 Tom    -- 02-12-2023 @ 7:44 PM
  Welcome Gil--

I second the info from all my fellow Club members above. Joining the club and purchasing "It's Ford for '40" will be invaluable to you. Go to "Online Store" on the left of your screen, click on "Ford Books" and you can order it right there.

May I add one other vendor to the ones previously suggested to you. You did not mention the condition of your window and door glass. If it's original, it's probably shot. Check with Sanders Reproduction Glass for assistance. They did a real fine job replacing all the glass pieces in my 40 4dr. Sedan (a LOT of glass in that car!). Go to "Links" and click on "Vendors". Their contact info. is listed there.

Good luck with your Ford V8 Tudor Sedan.

Tom

gwistrup    -- 02-13-2023 @ 7:52 PM
  I have already joined the EFV8 club and I am grateful that the membership steered me away from a 1939 Convertible Sedan that was in pieces. It would have been a nightmare to attempt to put it back together. There were too many important items missing. This 1940 Standard will make a much better project. It is amazingly original except for the mint green paint job and recovered seats. It shows 32,000 miles on the odometer and I would not question it. There is no play in anything. I had a chance to take it on a shake down test drive today and it drives excellent. I picked it up and checked it out more closely underneath and the only thing I could find was a slight amount of movement in the king pin bushings. I don't know if that is acceptable or not. There will be plenty of more questions. I'm compiling a list for the first parts order. New tires, brake rubber parts, and wiring harnesses are first. Thanks, Gil

This message was edited by gwistrup on 2-13-23 @ 7:58 PM

1931 Flamingo    -- 02-14-2023 @ 10:17 AM
  When I needed parts for my "new" 40 coupe i used C&G in CA. Very happy ! ! !
Paul in CT I also used Joe's.

trjford8    -- 02-14-2023 @ 2:42 PM
  Good decision on the '40 tudor. Much more user friendly and more quiet inside.

TomO    -- 02-15-2023 @ 9:14 AM
  Gil, you have a very nice 40 Tudor. Congratulations on your find.

Photos are not a good way to judge a color, but your car color looks very close to Cloud Mist Gray, a 1940 color. Clean the under side of the floor pan to see if there are any traces of the original color.

Any side to side movement in the king pins will affect handling. Slight vertical movement is OK.

Tom

gwistrup    -- 02-15-2023 @ 7:28 PM
  Tom,
The original color inside the doors, trunk and hood is a darker green. I am going to live with the current color for now. It's an old lacquer paint job that has is buffing out well. There is some flaking at the edges but overall it looks pretty good. I want to make the car mechanically safe and reliable first then I will consider cosmetics. I ordered wiring, tires, and brake parts today. Thanks for the tip on the king pins. I will get a rebuild kit for them.
Gil

1940 Tom    -- 02-16-2023 @ 8:21 AM
  Hey Gil--

The 1940 Paint Colors include Acadia Green and Yosemite Green. If the door jambs, trunk and hood edges, are " a darker green", I'd bet on Yosemite Green as the original color.

Excellent plan - get the car up and running mechanically, then deal with the cosmetics.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 02-17-2023 @ 9:29 AM
  Another 1940 green color is Cloudmist Gray, as TomO said above. Cloudmist Gray is not even close to gray, it is a muted dark green. See pic.

The "Benton Gray" floor mat is also not gray, is a tan color. I read a theory, don't know if there is any validity to it: Gray was in vogue, a high-fashion color during the late thirties. So Ford designers and marketing liked to use the word gray. It appealed to the ladies.

jthompson1937    -- 02-17-2023 @ 10:59 AM
  I had heard that other automakers used a color of Cloutmist Green (GM in 1938 for example). So, Henry being Henry couldn't call it that and Cloudmist Grey was chosen.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16232