Topic: Driver side brake light

classiclover    -- 01-07-2023 @ 12:22 PM
  No brake light on drivers side. swapped bulbs, bulb OK cleaned connections in housing, checked connection at brake cylinder. Don't have a volt meter at this time. Any trouble shoot advice from the experts

Thks

classic lover

carcrazy    -- 01-07-2023 @ 7:27 PM
  Check the connections between the switch on the master cylinder and the wires that attach to it. What year vehicle are you working on? On 1951 or older Ford cars, the master cylinder is located beneath the floor under the car. On 1952 and newer Fords cars, the master cylinder is located in the engine compartment. Sometimes the connections between the wires and the stoplight switch become corroded as evidenced by a green coating on the terminals. Remove this coating from the terminals by using a fine, 400 grit or finer, sand paper. Once you have as much of this corrosion removed from both the male and female portions of the terminal, use a pliers to slightly compress the female terminals on the wires so they will make a better connection with the male terminals on the switch. This should correct your problem. If not, you will have to check the brake light wires for any open circuits or shorts.

classiclover    -- 01-08-2023 @ 5:10 AM
  Hello Car Crazy

Sorry for not specifying year of car. I was on the 40 Ford Forum and thought that was enough.
I have done all the things you suggested prior to my thread. I noticed early on that the brake light on the drivers side was not as bright as it should be and thought it was a grounding problem, now I have no brake light at all. My age keeps me from crawling very far under the car, but I did check the female connector and crimp it a little to make it hold better and cleaned the nodes on the tail light assy. I will probably have to take it to an elec shop to get it traced to the bad connection. Thanks for the input

trjford8    -- 01-08-2023 @ 8:26 AM
  The crossover wiring connects in four places. Brake and tailamp wires at the right side to the light itself and brake and tail light wires at the left side where it merges with the left side harness. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Did you check the bulb itself? Was the bulb stem clean along with the socket? Did you try a different bulb?

classiclover    -- 01-08-2023 @ 9:51 AM
  Well, I found a connection that was not pushed in all the way. Have brake light Only found it by pushing all wire connections . Couldn't tell by just looking. thanks to all

Dale

trjford8    -- 01-08-2023 @ 5:28 PM
  Thanks for letting us know you found the problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16169