Topic: 40 ford standard coupe with shelf

sv221fh?    -- 10-31-2022 @ 4:15 PM
  I have a 40 ford coupe standard I bought in 1967(3rd owner) very solid unmodified but needs restored. Drove 50 miles home when I bought it. Is there matching numbers on frame, motor, other location. Also, best resources for restoring vehicle. thanks

kubes40    -- 10-31-2022 @ 5:20 PM
  The "serial number" was originally stamped into the top of the transmission case. The transmission / engine assembly, upon installation into a frame had that number transferred (by hand) to three places on the frame. Only one is visible without removing the body. That one is on the left frame rail somewhere between the dash panel and the front frame crossmember. More often than not, it is closer to the crossmember than the dash.

It may be difficult to see. Typically, I'd start with some steel wool until I'd located the number. Then carefully remove the paint, corrosion, etc. until the numbers became visible. The number will have a star at both the beginning and the very end of the sequence. After the (beginning) star, you'll find either an 18 or a 54; followed by the serial number.
The 18 would denote an 85HP equipped car. A 54 would denote a 60HP equipped car.
The transmission could match your frame but don't count on it. Of the dozens of '40 Fords I've owned, only a small handful had matching numbers.
In days long past, when the transmission failed, it was often replaced with a used (read: junk yard) transmission.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 11-01-2022 @ 6:58 AM
  In addition to Mike's advice on serial numbers,check the left frame rail near the front crossmember. I have found as an owner of several 40's that is where I have found the number. Also purchase the new V-8 restoration manual titled "It's Ford for 40". Mike (kubes40) wrote the book and it's a comprehensive book on the '40 Ford. It's a book that all '40 owners should have. You can purchase the book from the on-line store in the left menu of this site.

sv221fh?    -- 11-01-2022 @ 5:17 PM
  Thank you so much! You guys are a wealth of information. Any thoughts on the value of my 40 standard coupe restored to original condition or a little better. It is 85 hp and has shelf rather than jump seats in a shade of green(is there 2 shades of green).Would black be more desirable in the market place. Your thoughts please. Will get the book. Thanks.

kubes40    -- 11-01-2022 @ 5:51 PM
  It's impossible to give you an appraisal without inspecting the car. The '40 Fords, like pretty much all other old cars are winding downward in value.
Extremely well restored examples (998points+) still bring top dollar but only because there are so few of those in existence. To get one to that point is (financially) a losing proposition.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-3-22 @ 10:39 AM

sv221fh?    -- 11-03-2022 @ 10:19 AM
  Thanks Mike for your input. I guess what one does with there Ford is a personal preference. It could be original or restored as modern driver, but I believe many love the iconic design and will always be an important part of automotive history. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16055