Topic: Pin holding axle to wishbone

40cabriolettony    -- 10-26-2022 @ 1:38 PM
  Hi Mike, thanks for all the help thusfar. I am putting aftermarket shocks on my 40 and it requires the removal of the front sway bar. The installation of the bottom shock bracket requires a pin with shock mount to replace the pin holding the axle to the wishbone. My question, does this unscrew from the top, it looks like a 1' and 1/8 wrench at the top after removing the bottom nut with a carter pin.

Making sense?

Thanks, Tony

kubes40    -- 10-26-2022 @ 2:57 PM
  Tony,
Those are the radius rod bolts. They are secured by the slotted nut on the bottom of the axle. The nut and cotter pin are easy to remove. The bolt itself can and most often is, a devil to remove. After decades, well, think 30-ton press if you are lucky.
Even once you have removed them, the odds are you will have destroyed them.
The attached photograph should offer you an idea of what one of these looks like once removed.
Your convertible club coupe has the type to the very right of the photo.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 10-26-22 @ 2:58 PM

40cabriolettony    -- 10-26-2022 @ 3:01 PM
  d*mn, thanks. Will I just destroy the pin or the radius rods themselves?

kubes40    -- 10-26-2022 @ 3:35 PM
  You will most likely destroy the pins. The radius rods should not be harmed if you incorporate a little patience during the removal process.

I am not a fan of modifications such as this but realize installing tube shocks is quite common. I didn't realize these pins had to be removed to do this.

I might suggest you ask what others have done over on the Ford Barn.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40cabriolettony    -- 10-26-2022 @ 3:51 PM
  thanks, I will look for alternatives - you are such a great resource

40cabriolettony    -- 10-26-2022 @ 4:55 PM
  Thanks for the wisdom, found a cleaner installation at Vintage Parts that does not require the pin removal, leaves everything intact including my 2nd gen sway bar. The thought of tearing up the stock installation was not what I wanted. So, thanks again

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16043