Topic: Windshield Center Weatherstrip Retainer Removal

MikeJ    -- 05-10-2022 @ 2:05 PM
  How is the outer, bright windshield center weatherstrip retainer on a 1940 Ford closed car (in this case a coupe) removed?

Our coupe leaks water in the cowl area so I got under the dash while water was being sprayed on the windshield and cowl area and found water coming out of the bottom of the windshield wiper control. I'm guessing that the water is passing between the weatherstrip and the glass or the body and finding a "drain" through the wiper control.

I would like to inspect the weatherstrip in this area closer potentially adding some bedding and glazing compound but I need to remove the bright trim first and I don't want to damage the trim, weatherstrip or the glass in the process.

Thank you.

kubes40    -- 05-10-2022 @ 5:39 PM
  From inside the vehicle: Remove the three screws from the center molding of the windshield and the outer molding will be free to remove. It (outer molding) may be stuck to the old rubber.

IF you have a factory radio antenna, you will need to disconnect it at the top - center of the instrument panel to access the screw heads.

You do not need to remove the wiper control to remove the outer molding.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 05-11-2022 @ 7:27 AM
  In addition to the advice from Kube consider replacing the gasket if it is old and dried out or cracking. Well worth the time and $ to do it right the first time.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-11-22 @ 7:27 AM

MikeJ    -- 05-11-2022 @ 1:51 PM
  Thanks for the detailed instructions Kube. I appreciate your directions.

Thanks for your suggestion "Cousin" Tom, I will take a good look at the condition of the existing weatherstrip.

Mike Johnston

trjford8    -- 05-12-2022 @ 6:50 AM
  Mike, thanks for the chuckle. Who knows, somewhere in history we may belong to the same clan from Ireland.

TomO    -- 05-12-2022 @ 7:27 AM
  I second Tom's suggestion. I have been waiting 5 years for Dennis Carpenter to produce another run of the 1940 Mercury windshield seal and believe that that the Ford one may follow the same pattern in the next few years.

I would not repair the current seal as you implied in your original post. If your seal has deteriorated enough to leak, you probably have some rust that needs to be addressed before it eats away the lip for the seal.

You will need to remove the ww wiper control and the inside molding in order to replace the seal.

Tom

MikeJ    -- 05-12-2022 @ 2:08 PM
  Thanks for your feedback TomO.

I pulled the outer bright retainer off today and see gaps where the two strips meet at both the bottom and the top. The upper gap is much larger than the lower. I've never seen this area before but I wouldn't expect to see such large gaps. Maybe I'm wrong?

The strips also appear to be installed on the wrong sides as the center piece on the driver side (left) is labeled right in the rubber. I'm not sure if this could contribute to the poor fit at the lower and upper gaps?

I ordered a new rubber seal from Third Gen today and will pull the windshield glass and rubber seal in the next day or two to check the condition of the body flange and TomO suggests.

Mike Johnston

kubes40    -- 05-12-2022 @ 3:32 PM
  MikeJ,
Yeah, the old gasket appears to have seen better days.
IF you MUST use sealer, be certain to obtain silicone meant to be used with glass. Regular ol' silicone for your house will delaminate the glass.
A new rubber gasket, installed properly, does not require any additional sealer. However, some guys insist on using it anyway. That's the only reason I site the caution.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 05-13-2022 @ 8:19 AM
  You definitely found your leak. It looks as if the right side was cut off from the complete gasket and then installed. In any case the gasket has seen better days and should be replaced. The exposed metal looks good in the photo, so I hope that the rest of it turns out the same way.

Here is a link to the instruction on how to replace the seal: http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_glassinstall-40-46_pg1.htm

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15658