Topic: Repro Windshield Wiper Towers for 1940 Closed Car?

RAK402    -- 04-06-2022 @ 11:52 AM
  Have the windshield wiper towers for closed cars been reproduced?

I see the ones for open car and station wagons frequently, but not the ones for the closed car.

Trying to determine whether I should get mine re-chromed or not.

Thank you all in advance.

1940 Tom    -- 04-06-2022 @ 3:43 PM
  I did an online search for you and found some new wiper towers for sale.

Now - a big BEWARE!

The company that I found, that allegedly has them, is called 2040Parts. Their website/email are 2040Parts.com - www.2040-parts.com. I have never heard of them. Their website is shown as "unsecured"(whatever that means). And I have never seen their advertisements in any car publications.

Sooooo - if you want to check them out - OK. Investigate before you invest, even if it's just for a set of windshield wiper towers. But this might turn out to be a good case of buyer beware.

Checked out all "the usual suspects" - Drake, Carpenter, California Vintage Ford, etc. - no luck.

Good Luck.

Tom

RAK402    -- 04-06-2022 @ 4:17 PM
  Tom,

Thank you very much for going above and beyond to assist!

I will check that sight out carefully.

You would think that the Wiper Towers would be a common item, but this does not seem to be the case.

Thank you again sir!

1940 Tom    -- 04-07-2022 @ 10:17 AM
  You're welcome!

When I restored my Sedan (20 years ago) - no problem getting new towers, linkage, etc. Now, they are as rare as an honest politician in Washington DC.

Maybe there are tons of them sitting on a container ship in Long Beach harbor waiting to be unloaded.

Anyway, good luck with 2040 Parts. Hope they give you good service and have the towers you're looking for.

Tom

1940 Tom    -- 04-07-2022 @ 10:26 AM
  I checked their website and customer reviews just now, on AOL - 2040Parts.com.

As expected, looks like this company is Trouble, with a capital "T". Take a look at their website for yourself, but it looks like a firm to avoid completely.

Keep looking for those towers. They gotta be around somewhere.

Tom

fortyford    -- 04-08-2022 @ 4:27 AM
  Tom, is Melvins Classic Ford the place you are speaking of?It seems that site shows them in stock?

fortyford    -- 04-08-2022 @ 4:41 AM
  Obsolete Classic Auto Parts?
https://ford.obsoleteandclassicautoparts.com/catalog/early-ford-v8?qad=4bh1c85932386W3ud1y38H968P5227R7dGcmqqAqHoCo634pP#page/150

This message was edited by fortyford on 4-8-22 @ 4:43 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-08-2022 @ 6:38 AM
  HI RAK42
if your towers are in good condition, they might be able to be replated,
it might be the better way to go,
you know these work, and fit without doing any modifying to get to fit or work
I would contact a plater or get a quote from one on the price then make a decision
I would also look for NOS before going the repop road,
see if anything pops up on EBAY,
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman, Maine

trjford8    -- 04-08-2022 @ 8:08 AM
  At this point I would chrome what you have. These towers have been out of stock for well over a year with most vendors.

1940 Tom    -- 04-08-2022 @ 8:13 AM
  Happy Friday to fortyford and 37RAGTOPMAN--

Thanks, guys, for your assistance in helping out our new member.

I'm not familiar with Melvins Classic Ford but have heard of Obsolete Classic Auto Parts. Two more potential sources for RAK42 to check out. And of course, I completely agree with 37RAGTOPMAN's suggestion on replating the original towers too.

OK RAK42 - looks like the rest is up to you.

Hope you all have a wonderful Spring weekend.

Tom

RAK402    -- 04-09-2022 @ 7:09 PM
  Thank you all for the information-it is greatly appreciated!

alt63bird    -- 04-10-2022 @ 5:20 PM
  If memory serves me correctly, the open car bases are slightly narrower and/or taller than the closed car ones. I thought I read that the open car ones can be used on closed cars but that the holes in the cowl may require some slight filling in order to use the open car gasket and seal the opening. I have a Tudor that's missing its wiper towers and picked up a set of open car towers 'cheap' (relative term here) to try. Needless to say I haven't done that yet.

Alan H. Tast, AIA, LEED AP
Technical Director, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l
www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net
1940 Ford V8 Tudor (Since 1979 & still in pieces)

trjford8    -- 04-11-2022 @ 8:32 AM
  The '40 open car towers are smaller in size than the closed car. You would definitely have to do some work on the cowl holes on the '40 closed car. Also there are some Chevrolets (37-40) that used similar wiper towers on their cars. Not sure how close they are for fit and size, but they definitely look close.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15582