Topic: Trunk panels for a sedan

kenburke    -- 03-24-2022 @ 3:49 PM
  Well since we have to make our own, what would be a proper color, what would be a good, water proof finish and who would have new securing pins (partion clips) for the side panels?
Is there a part number besides #35217-S4A?

kubes40    -- 03-26-2022 @ 8:39 AM
  Ken,
Satin black, not gloss, for the panels. Places like Hobby Lobby have picture framing mat board of the correct thickness and color. Authentic panels had a pebble grain "finish" to them.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kenburke    -- 03-26-2022 @ 2:27 PM
  Thanks Mike. I lust received Mac's parts book and in it they do show the panels sets, page 19. I previously called a while back and they then said the panels were no longer available. I will call them again go find out the current truth. On the clips, I am trying to find out if 3rd Gen has them. Question, could the front floor mat pins work if nothing else will. The Macs book says the sets comes with screws and washer.

kubes40    -- 03-26-2022 @ 3:08 PM
  Ken, Man oh man, you are testing my memory
The side panels were fastened to the body with oval head screws (32995-S15) and countersunk finishing
washers (34885-S15). Many of the screws actually protruded through the rear wheel well panels. These protrusions were nipped off with a side cutter.
The clips you are seeking for the forward panel are nearly identical to the cowl insulator clips. The difference? The ones utilized in the luggage compartment were shorter. So, yes, I believe you could use the readily available clips for the cowl insulator. Once installed, you may need to spread them open a bit more so they "seat" properly.

Ken, please enable your private message box.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-26-22 @ 3:10 PM

kenburke    -- 04-01-2022 @ 1:52 PM
  Well Macs shows them in their catalog. in brown, grey and black. Per their phone rep, black is out of stock. Check back in 30 days. I did not ask him about 39 models, yet!

fortyford    -- 04-01-2022 @ 6:15 PM
  I am in the process of making my own trunk panel set for my coupe.What does those clips look like that hold the front panel?Is the panel in the front basically just a more less square or rectangle piece?I have an original side panel to get a copy from.

kenburke    -- 04-01-2022 @ 7:28 PM
  Roy N. Sold a kit #R-917. 3rd Gen could probably support you on this. Mike would be a good authentic check.

fortyford    -- 04-02-2022 @ 9:14 AM
  Thanks Ken,I see the kit listed.I got two big black card board panels from an upholstery place near me this morning.I have plenty to make what I need.

fortyford    -- 04-03-2022 @ 8:31 AM
  Can someone explain to me what the stitched edging is for on the coupe trunk side panel?Yep it is stenciled on the back side!Are there any photos out there on how the panels in front of trunk is suppose to look?These came from an Opera Coupe which I have also.

This message was edited by fortyford on 4-6-22 @ 7:46 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15554