Topic: Useful? Mirror for Passenger Side of Car

RAK402    -- 03-24-2022 @ 3:02 PM
  I have had the "Swan Neck" Mirrors on my 40 for the last 46 years.

Now that I am older (much older) I want to have a useable mirror on the right side.

While I am at it, it would be nice to have a larger mirror on the Swan Neck for the driver side.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

carcrazy    -- 03-24-2022 @ 8:12 PM
  MAC's has several exterior rear view mirrors which will work on your '40 Ford. I have had excellent results using their hinge pin mirrors on each side of my '40 Tudor. If you want to have a larger field of vision from the right side mirror, you can glue a wide angle mirror over the flat mirror on that side.

Here is information from their website:

https://www.macsautoparts.com/hinge-pin-mirror-chrome-curved-arm-2-1-4-hinge-rightor-left-ford-passenger-32-16734-1.html

RAK402    -- 03-24-2022 @ 8:43 PM
  Thank you very much!

That looks GREAT!

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-25-2022 @ 7:15 AM
  I've got "peep" mirrors on the doors on my 40 Coupe and can see fine . FWIW
Paul in CT

Barney    -- 03-25-2022 @ 5:24 PM
  Hi RAK,

I have been attempting to find a useable mirror for the right side of my '40 Fordor. I bought two peep mirrors from Mac's. When mounted on the left side, it works fine. I can see traffic in the lane immediately on my left. However, the same mirror (reversed, of course) does not allow me to see down the lane to my immediate right. To the person with the hinge pin mirrors, please relay the distance from the pin to the center of the mirror. I've been entertaining the thought of machining an extension rod to mount between the mirror's mount and the mirror's original arm. It seems that maybe extra distance between the door and mirror is required for fordors. The center pillar appears to protrude considerably farther from the car's longitudinal centerline than the front door hinges., requiring the driver to view 'around' the car. I know, clear as mud.

Barney
PS Looking through NAPA's books produced nothing promising.

40cabriolettony    -- 09-05-2022 @ 12:27 PM
  Is there a replacement trim piece for when you remove the peep mirrors and replace with the pin mirrors? TIA

Barney    -- 09-05-2022 @ 4:32 PM
  Hi 40cab Tony,
No trim piece is required when removing peep mirrors. The peep mirror I have clamps to the front flange of the door. It can be mounted in the range of approx. 6" to 15" above the hinge. Paul in CT claims the peep mirrors work fine on his 40 coupe. I'm guessing that's because his coupe may not be as 'bulging' or 'fat' as my Fordor. I can not see around the corner (pillar) on my Fordor.
Barney

JayChicago    -- 09-06-2022 @ 8:40 AM
  I like to have a convex mirror on the right side, like all modern cars. You then get an expanded view of traffic in the lane next to you, right next to you as well as behind. Stick-on convex mirror glass is available at most auto parts stores.

Nothing will help the original Ford accessory mirror located on the cowl, because that mirror can't be seen from the driver's position. That Ford accessory mirror was for looks only, is/was functionally useless. If you do add a usable mirror and remove the original mirror, the stainless trim piece from an original car would be what's needed in its place. I don't know if that piece is available, don't know if that piece was ever reproduced.

Hinge pin mirrors work great, but first may want to see if you are able to remove your existing hinge pin. I've never tried to remove one, but I understand it can sometimes be near impossible to get the old hinge pin out.

carcrazy    -- 09-06-2022 @ 9:19 AM
  Removing the hinge pin can be a bit of a challenge. I successfully removed one from a '40 Ford by using lots of patience, a straight punch, penetrating solvent, a suitably sized socket wrench and a C-clamp. Be careful to not harm the painted surface on the top of the hinge.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15552