Topic: 40 tudor door seals

ronnie    -- 02-15-2022 @ 6:00 AM
  Ordered door seals from Carpenter,s and when installed there is no way the door will shut without bending door. There is not enough room between body and door. The fitment of door is correct( good hinges, good gaps all around, door shuts good without seals) . Does the seals need to be trimmed to fit between door and body?
Thanks
Ronnie

kubes40    -- 02-15-2022 @ 7:48 AM
  Please, exactly what seals did you install?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ronnie    -- 02-15-2022 @ 2:16 PM
  Mike they are the seals (weather strip) that go at the front edge of door on 40 Ford tudor. It goes from top hinge to bottom of door. It's glued to front edge of door.
\Ronnie

kubes40    -- 02-15-2022 @ 4:04 PM
  Thanks Ronnie.
I'd just wanted to be on the same proverbial page.
I have had issues with the seal at the top of the door - on the body, albeit rarely. Why? It seems that occasionally (rarely), the body sh*ll / inner structure was not set quite correctly in the welding jig and as such, the distance between the top of the door and body was less than it had been designed to be.

I have never experienced an issue at the A pillar as you are dealing with.
Are the seals actually Carpenter seals or a different brand? Are they a "spongy " foam type seal?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ronnie    -- 02-15-2022 @ 7:55 PM
  Thanks for the reply Mike. They are from Carpenter, I picked them up personally. They are made with a type of rubber that does not compress very much. Kinda like a windshield rubber. They are not spongy. Maybe old. I will check with them and see.

Thanks again Ronnie

alanwoodieman    -- 02-15-2022 @ 8:15 PM
  I can tell you their answer now--we have never had that problem before!

ronnie    -- 02-16-2022 @ 1:52 AM
  Mike,
Would you happen to have a picture of the hinge area on a 40 ford showing the seal?
Thanks,
Ronnie

kubes40    -- 02-16-2022 @ 5:32 AM
  I do not have the photo. The installation, in my opinion, can only be done one way. I highly doubt you did anything wrong.
The seals should compress quite easily and nearly fully within your fingertips.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ronnie    -- 02-16-2022 @ 5:48 AM
  Thanks for the advice and time Mike, If I find the problem I will let you know

Ronnie

JayChicago    -- 02-17-2022 @ 9:55 PM
  I bought A-pillar seals a couple years ago. Vintique brand. They were not spongy, were fairly hard rubber.
They came stuffed in a plastic sleeve a few inches shorter than the seal. The seal had to take on a S-bend to fit into the too-short package. I hung the seals in the garage to let the S-bend straighten out before installing. The following year I threw them in the trash. The hard rubber never relaxed.
I think a lot of the Vintique products belong in the trash.

I still need new A-pillar seals. Mike (or anyone), if you recall where you purchased soft seals that worked well, or who made them, please let us know.

ronnie    -- 02-18-2022 @ 1:37 AM
  I think that's where mine may end up. Had thought about trimming mine in half, but I'll probably just do without them .

Ronnie

RAK402    -- 02-23-2022 @ 4:40 PM
  I installed new door seals in my Fordor in 1976 when I had it painted. They are the sponge rubber type and are still in good shape (the car is always garaged).

When I have it painted again, should I leave them on and have the painters mask around them (which seems sort of crude)? I was going to install new ones but now I am concerned with the quality of the current reproductions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15489