Topic: Crank cover pin?

DMMuir    -- 12-21-2021 @ 6:27 AM
  Morning all,

Just dreaming up more work for myself once I can get Ferne the 40 out of winter storage.

The cover for the crank hole in the grille, is there a replacement pin available? I have the cover but the pin is gone and I want it back on, but secure.

Thanks,

DMMuir    -- 12-21-2021 @ 11:30 AM
  I might also be interested if anyone has a spare crank around for her. would be an interesting piece to have.

TomO    -- 12-22-2021 @ 7:55 AM
  I don't know where you could get the pin or any Deluxe grill parts, but you can get a complete set of tools, including the crank from Lin Stacey. linstacey@sbcglobal.net Lin is also the Club's tool adviser. Send him an E-Mail with your desires and he will do his best to get you what you want in the way of tools.

I would caution you about actually trying to crank over your engine . If not done properly you could damage the grill. The crank is 2 parts, the crank shaped lug wrench and the extension to reach through the grill and the radiator. This makes for a wobbly assembly.

Tom

kubes40    -- 12-23-2021 @ 10:28 AM
  DMMUIR,

I have replaced this pin by finding a suitable rivet at the GOOD hardware store. You will of course need a small spring - get one out of a writing pen. It'll be about the right diameter but will need to be cut to the proper length.
Install the rivet, cover through the grille center strip, then place the spring over the protruding rivet.
A small forceps will hold the spring down a bit and make the remainder of this task rather easy.
The remainder? Solder a little "glob" on the end of the rivet shaft, allow to cool, and file to make it look nice.
Easy, peasy!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

DMMuir    -- 12-24-2021 @ 7:58 AM
  Thanks Kube. I'll likely be doing this when she comes out of storage.

40 Coupe    -- 12-30-2021 @ 2:12 PM
  Drake had a repair kit at one time. There is one for sale on ebay at this time. It includes the cover, pin and spring.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15371