Topic: Transmission and rear end oil

2manybikes    -- 11-14-2021 @ 11:35 AM
  What weight(s) are recommended for the transmission and rear end in a 40 Deluxe?

carcrazy    -- 11-14-2021 @ 5:13 PM
  Use SAE 90 weight gear oil in the transmission and SAE 90 weight mild extreme pressure gear oil in the rear axle.

JayChicago    -- 11-15-2021 @ 12:03 PM
  I think it should be noted that those two 90 weight gear oils are not the same, are different animals, and should not be inter-used. I understand that some extreme pressure oil recommended for differential gears can degrade the yellow-metal synchros in the transmission. For the trans, I would want to see wording on the bottle that says something like "can be used in synchronized manual transmissions".

2manybikes    -- 11-15-2021 @ 4:12 PM
  Thank you both for your replies. Glad I asked! Guess I'll do a bit of research and see what I can learn about the differences.

TomO    -- 11-16-2021 @ 7:39 AM
  You can use API GL-3 or GL-4 in both the transmission and differential. They both have EP additives and are not harmful to brass. Look on the back of the bottle for the GL specification and uses. Valvoline does not say their gear oil meets GL-5 specs for their High Performance gear oil, but the back of the bottle says "for use in non-synchronized transmissions"

Tom

carcrazy    -- 11-16-2021 @ 10:55 AM
  For the transmission you can use Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid it conforms to API GL-3 level performance.

For the rear axle you can use Pennzoil SAE 80W-90 Gear Lubricant API GL-5.

2manybikes    -- 11-16-2021 @ 10:57 AM
  TomO, I appreciate your time as well. I'll look further into the Valvoline. I'm running Valvoline in most of my bikes and the 40 Ford. I'm also using Valvolines 90W in the shaft drive bikes. It much easier for me than trying to keep up with numerous brands.

carcrazy, Thanks for the info about Penzoil, I'll keep that in mind too.

This message was edited by 2manybikes on 11-16-21 @ 10:59 AM

TomO    -- 11-16-2021 @ 6:31 PM
  I did not intend to recommend and do NOT recommend the Valvoline High Performance Gear oil. It is their equivalent of GL-5 gear oil and is NOT recommended for your transmission. I just used Valvoline as an example of how a manufacturer that doesn't belong to the API might designate their oil. Some of the synthetic GL-4 rated oils do not say that they are safe for brass and I would not use one that did not specify it was for use in transmissions with brass parts.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15290