Topic: '40 electric windshield wipers

Barney    -- 10-24-2021 @ 10:34 AM
  Happy Sunday,
I have a 1940 Fordor Standard that I purchased as a 'basket case'. I know, I know - not a smart move, but it's been mostly fun. I'm near the end of this adventure, so now I'm working on the so-called accessories.
The vacuum wiper motor was not included with the many baskets. Not a big deal as I would have replaced it with an electric windshield wiper motor kit anyway. I have the complete wiper tower sets, with arms, that are in very good condition. The arms are equal in length - each 11" from pivot hole to pivot hole. I ordered and received a 6V electric motor kit from Mac's. It appears to be very well built with considerable pride involved. The two mounting bracket holes and the two holes for the motor bracket in the dash panel (see Mike Kubarth's book, page 1-27, holes 'B') match up fine. However, it appears the motor assembly needs to be mounted very close to the center of the dash panel, verified by the wiper tower arms being equal in length. It seems my new kit motor should be mounted in the very position that the cowling vent opening/closing mechanism resides. Of course, physics claims that no two objects can occupy the same position simultaneously. Either, I received an incorrect kit (it was identified as a 1940 6V wiper kit) or I have some incorrect parts. Any thoughts, experience, questions on this subject? Thanks very much.
Barney

RAK402    -- 10-24-2021 @ 5:08 PM
  I have had two different 6V electric wiper motors.

The first was installed when I could no longer locate anyone to re-build the original vacuum wiper motor (this was quite a while ago before I joined this forum).

The electric motor did look like it would interfere with the operation of the cowl vent, but didn't, once it was installed.

I also thought the electric wiper motor would be safer and more reliable...

Not so much.

The first electric wiper motor failed on the first long trip my wife and I took in the car. Although it did not have the problem of slowing down when the accelerator was depressed as a vacuum unit would, it never seemed to have the strength to move the wipers fast enough for even moderately heavy rain.

Undaunted (and still unable to locate someone to rebuild the vacuum motor), I installed another electric windshield wiper motor-this one didn't fail, but also could never quite move the wipers fast enough to be safe.

I did a lot of work on the car late last year and early this year. One of the things I did was to find another vacuum windshield wiper motor on ebay-it works great and moves the wipers with much more authority than either of the electric motors did.

Hopefully, the newer/current electric wiper motors are better than the ones I installed, years ago.

This message was edited by RAK402 on 10-24-21 @ 5:11 PM

trjford8    -- 10-25-2021 @ 7:59 AM
  Your wiper towers/arms are incorrect for your '40. The '40 wiper motor mounts left of center on the firewall . There are two factory holes to mount the motor bracket above the circuit breaker/resistor. The towers should have one long arm (passenger side) and one short arm (driver's side). Other cars used similar wiper towers (Chevrolet for one), so your towers and arms may be from another brand car. If your towers are good all you may need are just the correct arms.

Barney    -- 10-25-2021 @ 4:40 PM
  Hello Trjford,
Thanks much for your response. Your explanation makes perfect sense. A friend stopped by today, slithered under the instrument panel, and made a very similar diagnosis as yours. "Great minds think alike" as the saying goes. Looking at the mounting holes on pg 1-27 of Mike Kubarth's book, he parenthetically states "late design only"; that was a bit of a concern. I'm now optimistic about mounting my new motor. Apparently the arms I have are for another model or make vehicle as the two arms are the same length. Can't wait to crawl under the instrument panel tomorrow morning. Thank you for taking the time to offer your assistance.
Barney

trjford8    -- 10-26-2021 @ 7:44 AM
  Barney, the early design for the wiper motor was the fact that the motor bracket was spot welded to the firewall. The later design was was bolted to the firewall. The bracket was in the same location with both designs.

JayRM    -- 11-04-2021 @ 7:50 PM
  As a newbie to the '40 Ford world, and having a '40 DeLuxe Coupe with non-working wipers, what (please) are the steps to trouble-shoot what might be inoperative? Eg., being a vacuum-powered motor, where do I locate the motor and test if a vacuum is being created, and so on?

Thank you, much.

TomO    -- 11-05-2021 @ 8:10 AM
  The wiper motor is mounted behind the instrument panel in the vicinity of the wiper switch. The source for the vacuum is a hose connected to the intake manifold on the drivers side of the car. The hose should go directly from the intake manifold to the motor.

Read through the post in this link for more information: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15241

Please start your own post to discuss problems that you are having. That way information can be directed to your problem.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15242