Topic: Car lags under acceleration……..

mike42    -- 10-02-2021 @ 4:19 AM
  New carb from Dennis Carpenter 300 miles ago and car was running great until a couple days ago. All of a sudden it’s started to lag between shifts rather than accelerating. Seems to cruise pretty well though. Electric Pump and Fuel Reg set at 2.9 psi. Could it be the carb pump ?

Starts up on first turn ! Any suggestions ?

Thx……Mike

trjford8    -- 10-02-2021 @ 8:22 AM
  Do you have an in line filter.? If so you might want to check it. If you have one of those dial type pressure regulators they can be a problem.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-2-21 @ 8:23 AM

carcrazy    -- 10-02-2021 @ 12:28 PM
  It could be some contaminants from the fuel system have gotten into the carburetor and are blocking the accelerator pump system of your new carburetor. Check for a steady stream of fuel from each of the accelerator pump nozzles inside the carburetor when you operate the throttle lever.

mike42    -- 10-03-2021 @ 3:48 AM
  Morning…….

Holley Fuel Reg set at 2.9 psi…..2 new in-line fuel filters. One right out of the tank…….one at the Fuel Reg. Cater 6 psi electric pump. I’ll check out fuel spray this morning.

Thx…..Mike

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-08-2021 @ 8:47 AM
  I would drain the carb, use a paper towel to see if any dirt come out, or water,
the main jets, if have dirt in them , will cause this problem
accelerator jets only work when you press down the gas pedal, then the main jets take over,
this is for lag in acceleration,
if they are not working you will have a flat spot till main jets take over,
check to see if working,
maybe the accelator pump is not working, disconnected ?
also check for fuel flow going in the carb, with a container to capture the fuel
have a helper when doing this,
I think 1 FUEL filter is enough, hope this helps 37Ragtopman
LETS HEAR HOW YOU MADE OUT,~~~~~!!!!

mike42    -- 11-10-2021 @ 11:17 PM
  Sorry to take so long to answer, but the Holley Fuel Reg was faulty. Wrong internal spring was too heavy to operate properly. Replaced the spring with low psi spring and bingo…….runs great ! Assembled in China of all things ! Hmmmm….sound familiar !

Thx……Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15184