Topic: Interior lighting in my newly purchased 40

classiclover    -- 09-02-2021 @ 7:06 AM
  Newbe here again

I am continuing to familiarize myself with my new coupe. I am finding a few elec problems in the dash. There is no dash lights and no power to the radio or clock. Is any of this fused. I am not very savvy about the elec side of things. Any ideas

Thks

Dale

TomO    -- 09-02-2021 @ 7:22 AM
  The radio has an inline fuse and very few 1940 Fords had an electric clock. If your car has one, the fuse is in the back of the clock under a cover marked "FUSE".

There is a dash light dimmer rheostat (variable resister) on the bottom of the left end of the dash . Turning it one way dims the dash light and the other way turns them to full brightness. The wiper on the rheostat can wear or corrode creating enough resistance to reduce the brilliance of light so that you cannot see them. Electronic spray cleaner along with operating the rheostat across its range, may give y0ou dash lights.

Other possibilities are that the bullet connector from the light switch has lost its connection or that the light switch is bad.

Tom

classiclover    -- 09-02-2021 @ 7:34 AM
  Thks much Tom

I will investigate

Dale

classiclover    -- 09-02-2021 @ 8:35 AM
  Greetings Tom
I was wrong on the clock, the wire to it is just the light for it, it is a wind clock and it works, but not the light. I checked all in line fuses and cant find any blown. I also found the dimmer switch and turned it several times full range, no lights. Is there a circuit breaker under the hood or dash that might be the problem. The light switch works for the headlights

Dale

classiclover    -- 09-02-2021 @ 12:10 PM
  Tom

I kept playing with the Dimmer Switch and finally got some bulbs to work, not well, but ar least I now know I need to replace that switch thanks much for your help

Dale

39 Ken    -- 09-03-2021 @ 5:07 AM
  These old rheostats are notorious for not
working properly. Mine was basically inoperative
so I bypassed it by connecting both wires to the
same terminal. Works good, lasts a long time.

Tom's advise on the "bullet" connectors is a good one.
I've opened them up and cleaned them but as time
goes on, they become dirty or corroded and loose efficiency.
I solder them now and they don't fail now.

classiclover    -- 09-04-2021 @ 12:51 PM
  Thanks again

I ordered the new dimmer switch from Dennis Carpenter. Not sure on replacement procedure
Looks like 2 screws and bring it out from above the lip on the dash. I am assuming there aren't nuts on the attaching screws/bolts?? Again, thanks for all the expert advice to us new comers

Dale

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15122