Topic: Replacing oil pressure sending unit

classiclover    -- 08-26-2021 @ 10:22 AM
  Newbe here again

Is there any thing special to replacing the oil sending unit on my stock 40 coupe

Thks
classic lover

carcrazy    -- 08-26-2021 @ 10:44 AM
  Access to the sending unit is a little tight but with patience it can be done. If your engine is stock, be sure to use the correct oil pressure sending unit for a 50 PSI system.

classiclover    -- 08-26-2021 @ 11:48 AM
  Thks my friend any particular source or brand

pech33    -- 08-26-2021 @ 12:13 PM
  I had my floormats out of my convertible, so I removed the transmission cover and the wood floorboard. You lay down on your stomach and you can get a wrench on it. While I was under the car the other day, I was looking at the sending unit from below and thought that I might get to it from under the car. It really needs a "distributor wrench"(the wrench you use to adjust the timing on a Chevrolet V8) the correct size that you can slip over from above, by the firewall.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

carcrazy    -- 08-26-2021 @ 3:29 PM
  You can use a crows foot wrench to remove the sender unit. I am not sure of the size, you will have to measure the distance between the opposing flats on the unit's base.

ford38v8    -- 08-26-2021 @ 3:38 PM
  As carcrazy said, a crow's foot wrench, or bend an open end wrench around into a U shape.

Alan

pech33    -- 08-26-2021 @ 4:42 PM
  It's a 9/16 square fitting.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

TomO    -- 08-27-2021 @ 9:27 AM
  Are you sure that you need a new sending unit? The replacement sending units do not seem to be reliable, but the original King-Seely units last a long time.

What are the symptoms that make you think that you need a new sending unit?

Tom

classiclover    -- 08-28-2021 @ 9:06 AM
  Tom
The unit was replaced a short time ago, and failed again. The symptom is the gauge just pegs all the way over and stays there. Appears to be an elec issue. Not sure what the brand is. I just bought the car

Dale

ford38v8    -- 08-28-2021 @ 9:12 AM
  That sounds that rather than the sending unit itself, it is the wire between the gauge and the sender. It is either shorted to ground, or broken connection altogether.

Alan

classiclover    -- 08-28-2021 @ 12:14 PM
  Alan

Thks, I will trace the wiring from unit to gauge

Dale

TomO    -- 08-29-2021 @ 8:36 AM
  Does the oil pressure needle go all the way without the engine running? if so it is probably a shorted wire.

Does the needle go all the way only after running the engine? Did it do this when you bought the car? You could have the wrong sending unit ( a 50# unit and an 80# pump) .

I would borrow or buy a mechanical pressure gauge and measure the pressure. Once I knew the pressure, I would look for the correct sending unit.

Tom

classiclover    -- 08-30-2021 @ 10:56 AM
  Tom
The needle on the gauge moves slowly to the far right and stays there when I turn on the ignition. No motor running, goes back when turn off ignition

Dale

TomO    -- 08-31-2021 @ 8:07 AM
  You either have a grounded wire or sending unit is bad. It is unusual for them to fail this way.

Check around the sending terminal for the possibility of grounding the wire there. Then remove the wire, insulate it and see if you still have the same condition with the wire removed. If you do, the wire is grounded somewhere between the sending unit and the gauge.

Tom

classiclover    -- 08-31-2021 @ 12:32 PM
  Tom

Does the wire just pop off the top of the sender? By finding a place to ground the wire, you mean hold it against a bare spot on the frame

Dale

TomO    -- 08-31-2021 @ 5:01 PM
  Dale, I am sorry that I did not make myself clear. The sending unit wire is held on by a screw. I meant to say "look around the terminal to see if the wire may be grounded causing your problem". I don't want you to ground the wire, just check to see if it is grounded.

The wire may have an unshielded ring terminal that is touching the cover of the sending unit or a bare spot that is touching the engine.

Tom

alexthecarguy    -- 08-31-2021 @ 10:07 PM
  I enjoy going through this thread and reading some suggestions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15105