Topic: 40 Frame Reinforcement

pech33    -- 08-25-2021 @ 8:41 AM
  Does anyone have a source for a "center reinforcement plate" as shown on page 4-7 of Kube's book? I am planning some frame repairs this winter and am collecting the pieces. I hope it is "savable". There are spots that have rusted through and need some attention. My center reinforcement plate has been tack welded underneath the frame instead of sitting on the lower portion of the frame rail. It must have taken quite a hit to have torn it off or it was removed for some other reason. It has the open car reinforcement braces as shown on page 4-8.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

carcrazy    -- 08-26-2021 @ 12:00 AM
  A couple of places you can try are Wescott's Auto Restyling, www.wescottsauto.com for frame parts for 1940 Fords and Speedway Motors, speedwaymotors.com for their Ford Bolt-In Tubular X-Member Crossmember for 1935-40 cars, part number 91063540. Others will probably know of other frame part suppliers. If the frame has some areas that are totally rusted through, it might be best to find a better frame for your vehicle.

kubes40    -- 08-26-2021 @ 8:42 AM
  I can't help but think you'd be better off purchasing a good frame. Time savings? Yes. Ultimate quality saving's? Yes.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 08-26-2021 @ 8:57 AM
  I agree with Mike. Check around for a better frame. Check sites like Fordbarn or post a want ad on this site. Better frames are out there and trying to fix your old frame can open up a huge can of worms.

trjford8    -- 08-27-2021 @ 4:32 AM
  Don't know where you live , but there are two frames for sale on this site.

TomO    -- 08-27-2021 @ 8:38 AM
  Add another supporter of a replacement frame.

Tom

pech33    -- 08-29-2021 @ 7:05 AM
  The car goes to a custom car builder on the 14th for an hour on the lift to evaluate the frame and floor boards(the seat brackets are rusted and have broken loose). The owner (young guy) talks about 350 Chev, Mustang II front end, Ford 9”, etc, but his 70 YO father works there and is an advocate of keeping it like it rolled off the line in June of 40, as am I. I have a hot rod Chevy Bubbletop 409, I don’t want or need another one. So short of spending $12,000+ on a new updated frame plus labor, I will wait for the evaluation of the frame. It has two spots on the passenger rail where it has rusted through, nothing on the drivers side.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15102