Topic: Gearing

Dick    -- 07-27-2021 @ 7:16 AM
  Now that I have my 40 running sweet again, I am looking for the best way to acquire better gearing for cruising at higher road speed. It loves 50 miles an hour andI travel at 60 but it is revving higher than necessary. My 46-48 engine 59 AB has a mild cam and dual Smitty,s, and I have no doubt it will
Pull higher gearing. It runs strong. I took it on a 380 mile trip from Royston GA toPanama City, Fl and I sure missed the overdrive like I have on my 56 Chevy..
I get 14 mpg at cruise and I think it will do better .
Is the best way to change the rear end gearing? As you can tell I am a novice with 40 Fords and flat heads but have built many vintage British Motorcycles over the years. I learned years ago not to “ re invent the wheel” someone has already done it. Thank for your patience.

TomO    -- 07-27-2021 @ 7:42 AM
  Here is my option:

Install a Columbia 2 speed rear end to get the lower engine speed. There are other overdrive options that cost less, but require more work to install and do not increase the value of the car like the Columbia. The Columbia rear end adds about the same amount of value as it costs to install.

Installing a 3.54:1 set of gears will also help on long flat sections, but in hilly country the 3.78:1 gear set is better. My car has the 3.54:1 and performs nicely in the Midwest.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 07-27-2021 @ 9:29 AM
  My advice would be to install a 3.54:1 rear axle and limit your highway speeds to 65 MPH or less. The old Ford can be driven faster than that but the rest of the car (steering, brakes and suspension) wasn't designed for it. The Columbia setup is complicated and in my view not worth the expense and trouble of installing it.

JayChicago    -- 07-28-2021 @ 11:10 AM
  When I see one of these discussions about wanting to go faster, I like to repeat something Kube posted several years ago. Went something like this:
"I can imagine driving our cars at 70 MPH. But I can't imagine being able to safely stop or steer from that speed"

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-06-2021 @ 6:29 AM
  HI
I imstalled a 354-1 ratio in my 37 85 hp and it works great,
no problems pulling up hills, slight grades,
I do have a 37 Cabriolet, it might be lighter then a closed car,
if the engine is in good condition, you should have no problems.
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15021