Topic: light switch

cub 45    -- 06-25-2021 @ 11:32 AM
  Just got new dennis carpenter light switch and the only way I can install it is to lay it over to the 9 0clock position with the wires bent 90 degrees to miss the throttle shaft and have the L on the knob up right. That does not seem at all right to me, called D carpenter and the guy has no answer. If the shaft that is in the knob was turned 90 degrees I think it would be ok, wires would be up and L on knob would be up right.
Or what am I doing wrong? knob only goes one way due to the lock.

thanks kurt

JayChicago    -- 06-25-2021 @ 12:41 PM
  You are doing nothing wrong. Manufacturing error. Knob got pressed on it's shaft with the "L" upside down. I can see how it would be easy to make that mistake. Human error.

Couple years ago I had same problem with a switch purchased from Joe's. I cried to Joe about it. He said it wasn't first time he had heard about this. (one of the reasons I like buying from Joe's) After a little searching he got a properly-made knob & shaft out to me.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 6-25-21 @ 1:01 PM

cub 45    -- 06-25-2021 @ 1:43 PM
  Why is it always me that gets the bad part or wrong part. i'll get back to carpenter and try to have them send the right knob indexed correctly. The guy knows there is a problem hope they fix it.

thanks
kurt

40 Coupe    -- 06-26-2021 @ 5:00 AM
  Sounds correct to me. The wires do not go upward they go toward the throttle rod. The terminals on the switch are slightly bent so the wires clear the rod.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-26-21 @ 5:20 AM

JayChicago    -- 06-26-2021 @ 8:42 AM
  That's right! Wires are supposed to pass over the throttle rod and go onto switch terminals facing the drivers side. Just checked my car with original wiring; the wires are bent up just a bit at the terminals, and they just clear over the throttle rod OK.

With the bad knob I had received, the whole switch would have had to been rotated 180 degrees, wires coming into switch from passenger side. Wires would not reach that far.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 6-26-21 @ 9:15 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14950