Topic: Oil pressure

Hillfarmer    -- 05-19-2021 @ 12:05 PM
  I understand oil filters became optional in 1940. My question is did the cars without filters carry more oil pressure then the ones with filters?

I contend that oil filters are not necessary on modern engines and since these old cars are driven in current conditions a filter probably does nothing besides provide cooling.

kubes40    -- 05-19-2021 @ 2:11 PM
  The filter, when installed correctly, did not affect oil pressure.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 05-20-2021 @ 8:37 AM
  Ford offered oil filters earlier than 1940. They were an option in 1938 and 1939, I don't have option lists for earlier cars.

Most manufacturers will not honor the warranty on the modern engines if the filter is not changed regularly.

The bypass filter does more than provide cooling, pull the element from a early Ford and look at the gunk that was caught by the filter.

Tom

Hillfarmer    -- 05-20-2021 @ 9:32 AM
  I did not see any 'gunk' on the filter I pulled. What would this gunk be? If you put clean oil in the crankcase there should be no dirt to filter out.

JayChicago    -- 05-20-2021 @ 9:56 AM
  How about products of combustion and what that does to the oil? It may not just be outside contaminants that need to be filtered out.

These old cars don't run very clean. Night-and-day different than a modern computer controlled car, with sensors all over the place, electronic fuel infection, fuel/air mixture control, timing control, etc.

carcrazy    -- 05-20-2021 @ 11:44 AM
  The oil filter is an excellent way to extend engine life! These early Fords which use a road draft tube to ventilate the crankcase allow for dust and dirt to enter the engine. A filter, even a partial flow one, is required to remove these and other combustion byproduct contaminants. Failure to use a filter allows these particles to circulate within the oil causing additional wear.

sarahcecelia    -- 05-23-2021 @ 3:16 PM
  The oil filter "set -up" on the 1951 fords used a fitting in the tubing from the crankcase to the filter; with a small diameter hole in it before it entered the filter ,to increase the oil pressure. That's a fact!! It was not used in '49 or '50.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 05-23-2021 @ 3:31 PM
  Steve, You have your fact wrong. That reduced fitting, in one iteration or another that you speak of was used every year that Ford installed filters. Plus, it didn't increase pressure. It maintained the pressure.
Also, the line between the crankcase and filter was the return line, not the supply line. The crankcase is not under pressure.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-23-21 @ 5:59 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14845