Topic: thermostats

cub 45    -- 05-15-2021 @ 7:09 AM
  59a b motor, new to me (2 weeks) took the upper hoses off one stat right side none left. To run motor just in shop and in yard till my order comes in can I make restrictor plates with lets say a 3/4 hole for water flow, bigger or smaller hole ?
Just an idea, don't want to run full flow.

thanks
kurt

ford38v8    -- 05-15-2021 @ 10:02 AM
  no restrictor plates required. no such thing as water too fast.

Alan

cub 45    -- 05-15-2021 @ 11:30 AM
  I read somewhere that if the water circulates to fast that it doesn't have time to pull the heat out of the motor, at 71 yrs old I know I read that somewhere but maybe wrong.

thanks
kurt

sarahcecelia    -- 05-15-2021 @ 12:15 PM
  As I have posted previously on the site; a stainless steel washer wih a 3/4 inch hole in it is the cheapest non failing thermostat in the world!! An old race car driver, on oval dirt tracks, told me this back in the 50's!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 5-15-21 @ 12:17 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 05-15-2021 @ 12:16 PM
  Kurt; Im 84 years old plus , and that is what I've always heard; that if the flow is too fast, it also doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to cool down.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 5-15-21 @ 12:21 PM

JayChicago    -- 05-15-2021 @ 12:44 PM
  "I read somewhere that if the water circulates to fast that it doesn't have time to pull the heat out of the motor"

I think that is a myth. You won't hurt anything running without thermostats. It just will not come up to proper temperature, or will come up very slowly. Many flatheads out there are permanently running without stats because their owners think that will improve cooling. Which I think is another myth.

TomO    -- 05-16-2021 @ 9:05 AM
  Just because someone is old doesn't mean that he is wise.

There are all kinds of theories about coolant speed and heat transfer. There are too many variables in the engine cooling system to use one formula to calculate heat transfer in a car engine..

Basically heat transfer of fluid to air depends much more on the speed of the air than the speed of the coolant. Another important element is the tube side heat transfer. When coolant is moved through a small tube a boundary layer (along the inside of the tube) of fluid tends to inhibit heat transfer, moving the fluid faster decreases the effect of the boundary layer. And to further confuse the issue, the greater the temperature difference, the greater the heat transfer to air. IE: coolant temperature of 190F on a day with 50F air will transfer more heat to the air than a day with air temperature at 90F.

Now that I have messed with the scientific theories, actual tests done by Skip Haney seem to prove that moving the coolant faster delivers better cooling. He spent many hours testing different impeller types on the water pumps on a Ford V-8 engine. His tests show that a particular impeller design, sped up the flow of coolant and reduced some of the aireation of the coolant resulting in better heat transfer of the coolant to the air.

Now to the old dirt track racer. I don't know Steve's friend, but I do remember that racing in the late forties and early fifties used a lot of flathead Fords from the thirties. These radiators were not pressurized and at high rpms would spurt water out of the overflow. The fix was to slow down the water flow by breaking off fins on the water pump impellers and using washers to restrict the flow. These cars were not driven on the street and most races were 20 laps on a quarter mile track. There were some longer feature races on the larger tracks. It could be that Steve"s friend just remembered that his race car did not loose all of its coolant and overheat after using the washers to slow down the coolant so it would not squirt out of the overflow tube or radiator cap.

Cub 45, I recommend that you use quality thermostats in your engine along with a 50/50 mixture of good antifreeze. I also recommend that you have your radiator inspected for coolant flow and fins that are still attached to the tubes. Have the radiator repaired if necessary.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-16-21 @ 9:06 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14834