Topic: Correct Wheel Paint

DMMuir    -- 03-23-2021 @ 3:29 PM
  Looking for a little help. My 40 Ford Deluxe Tudor has 15" wheels on it. I have 7 original 16x4 wheels, but they're in need of some work. I plan to sandblast them, then paint them the correct original color. Anyone have a source for the paint? Car is Cloud Mist Grey, so the wheels should be as well correct?

Beyond that, is there a market for the 15" wheels that are on it? They'd include the 4 trim rings but not the center caps
Thanks,

Dave

This message was edited by DMMuir on 3-23-21 @ 3:30 PM

kubes40    -- 03-23-2021 @ 4:07 PM
  The wheel color on your '40 deluxe were painted to match the body color.
I'd suggest you bring the cowl vent lid to a good automotive paint supplier in your area and have them match it.
The (7) wheels you have... prior to spending any money on them, are you certain they are 1940 rims?
Fifteen inch rims have some value...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-23-21 @ 4:08 PM

DMMuir    -- 03-23-2021 @ 4:47 PM
  Mike,

Is there a way to be sure they are 40 wheels?

kubes40    -- 03-23-2021 @ 5:13 PM
  DM, Yes, easy... check the profile. A correct '40 rim has what I would call "near right angles" vs. the later rim where the center slopes to the outside.
It looks like you have a nice car there. And, I was only guessing you'd rather "do it right" as long as your doing it.
The photo in your post to the far left is a later rim. The photo in the center is correct.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-23-21 @ 5:14 PM

DMMuir    -- 03-23-2021 @ 7:14 PM
  Thanks, I love the car. Getting my hands on an unaltered 40 that has been in the family since it was purchased new isn't something many can manage.

You are right I want to make it "right" without doing major work. Restoring it to original would sure be cool, but an 80 year old original car......

Thanks for your expertise, I will restore only the correct wheels. I am already pricing out original style Wide-Whitewall bias tires.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14704