Topic: water heater air pocket

tweetsmith01    -- 02-08-2021 @ 5:34 PM
  i need a few ideas on how to release the air from the heater hose coming from the heater on the passanger side that looks like the high point i have no fluid thru the heater so i installed a bleeder close to firewall on that side and still no fluid the engine running 20 min i can take hose apart and fill it but if the hose is a little higher than top radiator hose will it drain down when i remove radiator cap

kubes40    -- 02-08-2021 @ 5:41 PM
  This can be a little troublesome on these old non-pressurized systems. Usually it'll (air pocket) work it's way out of you run the engine with the radiator cap removed. Running the rpm's up helps.
When you say "coming from the heater" I am understanding that to mean this is the nipple that returns the coolant to the radiator - correct?

What year are you working on? Stock heater?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

tweetsmith01    -- 02-08-2021 @ 5:53 PM
  hi, 40 heater i installed with the template you sent me and it cant go any lower or it hits the bolts with the large washers that hod the throttle linkage i though maybe i installed it too high

kubes40    -- 02-09-2021 @ 6:03 AM
  If you utilized the template I'd sent, then the heater is in the correct position.
I'd suggest you run it for awhile - the air pocket should work it's way out.

This dilemma is common when heater cores are higher than the radiator. This is not the case with a '40 Ford.
Are you certain you have the hoses properly routed?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 02-09-2021 @ 7:58 AM
  Driving the car will help to free up the air pocket. If you cannot drive it, try varying the engine RPM.

Did you have the heater core replaced? The replacements may not have the air bleed.

How do you have the hoses hooked up?

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-09-2021 @ 9:12 AM

You could trying to jack up the front of car, to remove the air from system.,?
make sure there is no blockage, in the system.
just a thought,
1937Ragtopman if you could post a few photos, might help

ken ct.    -- 02-09-2021 @ 10:10 AM
  We use to drill a small hole in the return to rad. heater core brass pipe and slid the hose part way off to let out the air then slide the hose back all the way to cover up the hole,always worked to let air out of system. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14592