Topic: Ignition Switch Block:

fortyford    -- 08-24-2020 @ 9:06 AM
  I am trying to change the rubber shims at switch block.I tryed to loosen the bolt side and man I done it now-the bolt twisted of!I can't get the other side loose either with the round head.I have let these bolts soak for days before trying to remove them.How hard is it to remove the switch block from column?I may have to cut the other bolt with hack saw to free the block from column.Looking for ideas here.

kubes40    -- 08-24-2020 @ 10:24 AM
  Switch block? Do you mean the steering column ignition drop?

If so, yep, those bolts can be a bit of a task to remove.

It is much easier if you remove the gauge cluster and work though the opening created by doing so.
There is no magic trick to remove these. I have never broken one off but have always been very patient.
The "breakaway" bolt can be removed with a locking pliers - especially easy with the gauge panel out of the way.
The bolt that you'd already twisted the head off can be repaired with the column in the car. Drill up from the bottom (being careful to center your drill) to remove the bolt and rethread.

You may or not not know this but once you get a bolt to "budge" work it incrementally back and forth while attempting to remove it. Do not simply get it loose and attempt to remove it in one fell swoop.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-24-20 @ 3:05 PM

fortyford    -- 08-24-2020 @ 11:54 AM
  Thanks Kube,yea I got the gauge cluster back out of the way.Got a mess here,I will just have to work with it.

fortyford    -- 08-26-2020 @ 5:48 AM
  I got some titanium bits and had to drill both the bolts out.Such a small job turned into a real pita for me!

kubes40    -- 08-26-2020 @ 7:17 AM
  That's the "fun" of old cars.
I am currently half way through my seventeenth full restoration. Trust me on this... I have had more "fun" than most can imagine.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14100