Topic: Emergency Brake Cable

sarahcecelia    -- 06-30-2019 @ 6:03 AM
  Mike "Kube", You said that the springs on the cable on my 1940 convertible are too long.
Do you mean on the ends at the rear drums? Please explain how to rectify this problem in DETAIL .
Cut the springs and shorten them, If so how much should be cut off?
Install a new cable, some other fix, or just live with it.
Did the sedan, and the coupe/convertible take the same cable,
they would have to have the same length frame to do that,
and I would think that the sedan frame would be longer because the body is longer?

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 6-30-19 @ 6:12 AM

kubes40    -- 06-30-2019 @ 2:37 PM
  All 1940 Ford passenger cars utilized the same cables - both front and rear.
Those springs... cut them to 4 3/4". I cut through the spring at the desired length and slice the "extra" through the side so as to remove the pieces.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 07-02-2019 @ 3:41 AM
  The 40 brake cable 91A-2275-B is 122" long. The early 39 cable 91A-2275-A is 124.5" long. Kube is correct the reproduction springs for both sides are too long. After you shorten the springs It doesn't appear it will fix the problem you are having since you will have slightly more cable with the shorter springs. Do measure the total length of the cable. Do you have the bracket on the bottom of the torque tube 91A-2270 mounted at the connection of the rear radius rods ?

kubes40    -- 07-02-2019 @ 8:57 AM
  Cutting those springs does not lengthen the cable.
Cutting those springs allows the cable to have more room to "pull" within the drum and subsequently push the shoes out a bit more. When those springs are too long, they bind and as such, don't allow the cable to be stretched as it was designed.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 07-03-2019 @ 4:09 AM
  Of course cutting the springs does NOT increase the overall length of the cable, it does allow more of the cable to be outside the brake backing plate, after assembly, WITHOUT the parking brake being pulled. I find it hard to believe the rear cable can be installed without reducing the spring length.
The problem is either too much rear cable for the front cable to pull or the rear cable is not being pulled from a point forward enough.
Measure the overall length of the rear cable and compare to factory Spec.
Reduce the spring length.
Make sure the support for the cables (the pulling point for the rear cable), 91A-2270, is installed properly.

kubes40    -- 07-03-2019 @ 5:49 AM
  But by making certain the springs are the proper length (cutting them), it will allow the brake shoes to be moved a bit more within the drum. The longer (too long) spring binds within the drum.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13022