Topic: brakes

whyforjim    -- 08-26-2018 @ 5:52 PM
  I started a plan of investigating the condition of my brake system on my '40 coupe. I started with bleeding the system real well, for the fluid was very, very dirty. Bleeding rear brakes went well. Bled a good quart through until fluid was clean enough coming out. On the left front, can't get any fluid to come out of the bleeder screw. It is a new screw. On the right front, can't get air bubbles to stop coming out. Pumped at least 30 times. I never let the fluid level get low since I bought the car years ago, never let the fluid level get low while bleeding. I bleed through a tube into a jar of brake fluid. Open screw, brake pedal down, close screw, pedal up. Any pointers?

kubes40    -- 08-26-2018 @ 7:19 PM
  If you continually get bubbles, air is entering the system at some point. I'd check the master very carefully. In fact, for what they cost new, I'd replace it.
Other places air can "enter" are leaking cups within the cylinders.
Keep in mind that air can enter without fluid leaking. In other words, just because you find no leaks do not think air is not necessarily entering.

Have you taken the left - front cylinder apart? My guess is it is contaminated to the point of being a safety issue.
If that cylinder proves contaminated as I am willing to bet it will, I'd strongly advise you take all four cylinders apart and rebuild / replace as necessary.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 08-26-2018 @ 7:20 PM

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-27-18 @ 2:29 PM

TomO    -- 08-27-2018 @ 7:36 AM
  The rubber hose to the left front wheel is probably plugged inside, due to age deterioration. The air bubbles from the right front are probably caused by rust in the cylinder or just worn rubber parts.

Your statement that you flushed a quart of fluid through the rear cylinders before it came out clear, leads me to suggest that you probably should replace all 3 rubber hoses and rebuild or replace the wheel cylinders at all 4 wheels. You should also consider rebuilding or replacing the master cylinder.

Rubber brake parts have a maximum life around 20 years with regular exchange of fluid. If you have not been flushing the DOT3 every 3 or 4 years, the life will be shortened due to the moisture in the system. I use DOT 5 in both of my cars and like to replace the rubber parts every 10 years.

Tom

len47merc    -- 08-27-2018 @ 10:37 AM
  Tom - did you install Dot 5 in your cars' systems after COMPLETE system rebuilds? If not, how did you flush the lines to your satisfaction of the old DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids?

Not to raise the discussion again, just wanting to ensure everyone reading your post understands the proper way to use DOT 5 if they haven't before, and I know you will have handled it properly.

Thanks -

Steve

TomO    -- 08-28-2018 @ 7:01 AM
  My 40 Merc had rusty brake lines and the rest of the brake system was in similar condition, so that car had all new parts when I went to DOT 5.

My Lincoln was done by someone else. He said that he rebuilt all cylinders, including the master cylinder, flushed the lines with denatured alcohol and then filled the system with DOT 5. I have replaced all of the hoses and rebuilt the wheel cylinders since I bought it 4 years ago, because you could not predict which wheel would grab first.

Tom

autumnleaf    -- 11-01-2018 @ 3:50 AM
  I follow the topic to solve this problem too.

This message was edited by autumnleaf on 11-1-18 @ 3:51 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12278