Topic: brakes and starter

whyforjim    -- 07-22-2018 @ 2:21 PM
  I have a 85 HP 1940 Ford Coupe.
1. What kind of brake fluid should be used?
2. What is the capacity of the brake system?
3. I have had my car for 2 years. Runs good. In the last 2 months, often when I push the start button, I will hear up front only a loud, short "eh" sound. I will quickly release the start button. It may do this 2 more times, then it starts. I replaced the battery recently with a good Regal model, always keep it on a battery tender, and replaced the battery cables, battery ground cable and starter cable. Does this sound like there is a problem with the starter?

carcrazy    -- 07-22-2018 @ 5:06 PM
  Use a DOT 3 Brake Fluid in an original Ford hydraulic brake system. If you buy a one quart container of brake fluid, that should be enough to completely fill and bleed the system. The "eh" sound is simply the Bendix spring not holding the starter gear engaged with the ring gear on the flywheel long enough to start the engine, just try it again.

TomO    -- 07-23-2018 @ 7:24 AM
  On your starter problem, when it does this, turn off the ignition switch and try it. If it spins normally, you have a problem with the distributor. If it still doesn't turn the engine, check all of your connections and cables to the starter. You may have a bad cable or solenoid. To make sure that the starer circuit is in good condition, do a voltage drop test. For instructions on how to do this, do a search for one of my posta on voltage drop.

Before you add or bleed your brakes, it is a good idea to check what kind of brake fluid is in the system and then use that type to fill or maintain the syatem. Most DOT 5 fluid is purple in color and very slippery between the fingers and will not mix with water. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all the color of light oil or clear. They are somewhat sticky on the fingers, will attack and make paint dull or peel and will mix with water.

If you are going to flush the system, a small can will usually do the job. Discard any unused DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 as they will absorb moisture from the air and will make your brakes unsafe if they have moisture and you add it to your system.

DOT 5 does not need to be flushed every few years, but the others should.

Tom

whyforjim    -- 07-23-2018 @ 8:28 AM
  Unfortunately, the fluid is muddy brown in the master cylinder, so I'm going to bleed the system really well

whyforjim    -- 07-23-2018 @ 8:29 AM
  So, will the starter just not work at all one day?

TomO    -- 07-24-2018 @ 6:43 AM
  Muddy brown fluid is most likely DOT 3 or 4. The brown color may be coming from rust in the system.

I don't have enough information to guess wheter your starter will continue its current pattern or just die on you.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12149