Topic: installing trunk support arms

LorinK    -- 05-11-2018 @ 2:32 PM
  I am interested in hearing from anyone who has installed a pair of trunk support arms on a 1940 ford convertible. I just bought a pair from Bob Drake and their tech person told me to ask a body shop. Hope many body shops even know what a 40 ford is now days. Very disappointed in Bob Drake.

kubes40    -- 05-11-2018 @ 4:00 PM
  What exactly is your question?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

LorinK    -- 05-13-2018 @ 8:12 AM
  My question has to do with the fact that after installing the new support arms from Drake my trunk lid now sits up higher than the body. I have a 40 convertible. The previous old set would not hold up the trunk lid but fit nicely with respect to the body. As I mentioned I called Drake's tech guys and they told me to talk to a body shop. I had asked them if there could be any adjustments to the new arms when I installed them. They seemed to not have any information to share. Any info on the subject would be nice. Thanks

TomO    -- 05-14-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  Lorin, could you please post some photos of the outside of the trunk and the inside showing the arms.

My car has Drake's support arms installed. I bought them a long time ago, so he may have changed the design.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-14-2018 @ 9:15 AM
  Lorin,
The only adjustment is at the lower attachment point. There, you may lower or raise the entire support assembly as necessary. If you have done this already and the lid still sits up, then the supports are the cause of the issue.
I have installed many sets of Drake's supports and found some to be total poopy while others were acceptable.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

LorinK    -- 05-17-2018 @ 9:52 AM
  Hi Tom, yes, I can. Need to have my grandson help me post them, but I'll get on it. Thanks

LorinK    -- 05-17-2018 @ 9:57 AM
  Thanks Kube. Yes a noticed the horizontal slots on the mounts in the trunk and moved the support arms all the way down. I think I mentioned that I attached one arm and when closed it pushed the trunk up above the side of the body, which with the old supports that never happened. My Drake guy said to install them both and it should be ok. Had a problem on the way. Found someone in the past had broken off a bolt head on the other side. Repaired that today with a zert nut and tomorrow I will install the support and see what happens. Thanks Kube. Here's hoping and praying.

LorinK    -- 05-19-2018 @ 4:36 PM
  Thanks to all who helped me in my installation of hood support arms on my 40 convertible. I solved the issue by keeping the old support on the driver's side which would push up above the level of the body when I installed the new stronger Drake support. I installed the new support arm on the passenger side and it looks good. Every thing seems back to stock height and the trunk stays up well. Again thanks to all. Let's keep America great always.

LorinK    -- 05-19-2018 @ 4:36 PM
  Thanks to all who helped me in my installation of hood support arms on my 40 convertible. I solved the issue by keeping the old support on the driver's side which would push up above the level of the body when I installed the new stronger Drake support. I installed the new support arm on the passenger side and it looks good. Every thing seems back to stock height and the trunk stays up well. Again thanks to all. Let's keep America great always.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11909