Topic: correct 40 window ecthing locations

thunder road    -- 02-11-2018 @ 9:50 AM
  Mike, are you going to have in the new "40" book , the correct style, and locations, and which way facing read from outside of the car for the window etching's? How many weeks/ month's are they suppose to predate the build date? Are the etch kit's on the market correct in every way?

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 2-11-18 @ 3:02 PM

1940 Tom    -- 02-11-2018 @ 2:28 PM
  Hello Domenic---

The attached photo of a vent wing shows (barely, I'm afraid) of the glass bug. It is in the lower right corner of the curved part of the glass, next to the weather stripping and garnish molding.

Page 3-18 of the current Restoration Manual states:

"All glass has an etched identifier....in one of the lower corners. Sometimes this mark is on the inside of the window and sometimes, it is on the outside". Regardless, I believe that the"bug" is placed on the window, in order to be read from the outside. In other words, if you look at the window from the outside, the oval will not be backwards.

I shall defer to my esteemed colleague/Tech Advisor, to respond to the rest of your questions.

Mike, what do you think?

Tom

thunder road    -- 02-11-2018 @ 3:01 PM
  Tom "O' it's great to here from you. Lower corner's? Which lower corner front or back of the lower glass? Back in the eighties me and my restorer friend would take notes off the best original car's we could find at Hershey Fall meets. Their were always a large amount of correct early fords, including "40" s . Back then their was a guy selling the etch kits at the Hershey fall meet. After looking at many , many cars over the course of many different year's at Hershey we noticed that one side of the glass was always read from the outside and the opposite side piece of glass was always read from the inside. It's the location , and how far before build date is correct. And did it matter which side read correct from the outside. Now if you weren't confused before I am sure you are now. Domenic

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 2-11-18 @ 3:07 PM

1940 Tom    -- 02-11-2018 @ 3:18 PM
  At my very first Regional Meet in Dana Point, California in 1998, I drove an owner nuts by accurately measuring the locations of the "bugs" on his beautiful black, Concours-winning '40 Convertible. If my feeble brain can recall, he told me that there is no hard and fast rule on the bug's locations.

Since completing my sedan's restoration, I have NEVER received any point deductions from the judges about the locations of the glass bugs.

Tom

kubes40    -- 02-11-2018 @ 3:20 PM
  Tom, As you will no doubt agree, the guy that told you that is, well, let's just say "wrong".

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1940 Tom    -- 02-11-2018 @ 3:47 PM
  Mike--

As my restoration on my car proceeded, I learned that too. Agree with you.

tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11649