Topic: Opened Heater Valve Today??

fortyford    -- 10-09-2017 @ 1:57 PM
  I opened the water valve on my 40 today for heater this winter and now I noticed the temp goes all the way to hot for a minute before it cools back down to normal on a first start from cold???Can I have air in the system?Any ideas on whats going on?

ford38v8    -- 10-10-2017 @ 12:00 AM
  Your heater will usurp the hot water before it gets to the thermostat, thereby leaving the thermostat closed for a longer period of time. The temp sender will then see the hotter water until the thermostat is able to open and move more water.

If you had air in the heater core, it would not heat efficiently.

Alan

fortyford    -- 10-10-2017 @ 5:54 AM
  I opened the valve all the way.Would it help if maybe I closed it off some ?

TomO    -- 10-10-2017 @ 7:36 AM
  Does this happen every time that you drive the car? Is your heater connected according to the attached diagram?

If it is not, can you post a photo? Do you have dual temperature sending units?

In this diagram the heater hose input is on the right head and the temperature sensor is on the left head. I cannot see how turning on the heater would affect the thermostat on the left head enough to make the gauge go to hot.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 10-10-2017 @ 9:14 AM
  Tom is certainly correct if you have only one temp sender, but if two, then the passenger side sender is built to only register to full hot when activated, and in fact, this is what may be happening anyway, with or without the heater valve open, and you didn't notice it before.

Alan

fortyford    -- 10-10-2017 @ 5:03 PM
  Everything is set up like the diagram.I have one temp. sending unit and it is on the left side.I did close off on the water valve some.I drove car today and had no problem this time!It is weird,I can not remember having a problem last year when I went to winter set-up.It almost seems like I have a thermostat sticking?I also added about a quart of coolant.I guess I lost that filling up the heater routing?

TomO    -- 10-11-2017 @ 7:08 AM
  I still don't see how opening the valve to the heater would cause the heat indicator to go to hot and then back to normal. The low level of coolant could have caused a hot spot that might give that indication. I agree that it seems more like a sticking thermostat.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11262