Topic: Stainless Steel Fender Welt

luckylindy6480    -- 09-12-2017 @ 8:47 PM
  Looking for Polished Stainless Steel Fender Welting - NOT the common 3/16" OD size that you can get from many places - What I'm trying to find is the "smaller" sized OD type. Have a 40 about to go back together and so far can't find anyone who has the smaller sized welting. There was a time years ago you could get it from your local VW dealership's parts department today when you ask about it you have to go into a detailed description as to "what is fender welt". Please if anyone knows of where I could get this I would appreciate any feedback you have on a source. Thanks in advance your your help!

sarahcecelia    -- 09-13-2017 @ 11:30 AM
  I think your mistaken. I worked as a mechanic for VW from 1961 through 1968, and when the parts manager broke his foot one winter on the ice, I worked in the parts department for about 6 months while it healed, and I never saw, or heard of, a fender welting that was stainless, it was vinyl like the welting on 1940 Fords. When I moved to Florida in 1972 I worked for another VW dealer for a while and still no stainless. It could have been in the later 70's and 80's, but I never saw it. I have seen it available by one of the Ford after market. suppliers: maybe Bob Drake? I think one of them has it. Look around, Google it.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-13-17 @ 11:32 AM

luckylindy6480    -- 09-13-2017 @ 7:59 PM
  Had a VW dealer here in Southern California on Harbor Blvd that was the place to get it in the 70's & 80's. I mentioned in my ad I'm looking for a "smaller" size than what you can get from Drake, Carpenter, Vintique they ALL sell the 3/16" OD size, don't remember the exact OD of the stuff we got from the VW dealer - as best I remember it was about 1/8", much smaller and it looked a lot better plus it was a lot easier to bend without kinking. You can get bigger sized but so far have not found anyone who sells something smaller than 3/16".

trjford8    -- 09-18-2017 @ 7:39 AM
  Why would you put stainless welting around the fenders of a '40 Ford? The only stainless welting used on a '40 was between the fender and the grille on a '40 deluxe. You can buy that welting from Drake.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11178