Topic: Testing my 1940 N.O.S volt gauge

sarahcecelia    -- 07-19-2017 @ 5:40 AM
  "Kubes," I've been thinking. The gauge in the dash is just a volt meter; so- I can put my N.O.S one across the battery terminals and it should read the battery voltage!Therefore I also should be able to "jumper wire" one terminal on that N.O.S gauge to the "BATT" terminal on the regulator, and the other terminal on the N.O.S gauge to ground, and it should read in the green at 12-1500 RPMs.If it does, then that would mean the one in the dash is bad.

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 07-19-2017 @ 9:30 AM
  Steve, I just opened your profile and counted seven separate threads you've started regarding your voltmeter. Guys that want to answer your questions need to reference all the info you've provided on the subject, so if that info is scattered all about, it makes it difficult for everyone. Please, once again, don't start a new thread on the same subject, keep it all together for us.

Alan

sarahcecelia    -- 07-19-2017 @ 10:47 AM

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 7-20-17 @ 6:11 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 07-19-2017 @ 10:53 AM

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 7-19-17 @ 3:17 PM

ford38v8    -- 07-19-2017 @ 1:40 PM
  No, you don't delete the old threads, you reply just as you have done so on this thread. You argue that there isn't enough space? Threads may go on for page after page after page, all one thread, all info collected together. If it's too much trouble for you to find the thread so you start a new thread, then you'll understand that it's too much trouble for the rest of us to find your other relevant threads either, and it's too much trouble to argue with you about it.

Alan

sarahcecelia    -- 07-19-2017 @ 2:42 PM

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 7-19-17 @ 3:19 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 07-19-2017 @ 2:49 PM

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 7-19-17 @ 3:17 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 07-19-2017 @ 2:59 PM
  Aha, I think I got it. You mean I should always find and reply to my original thread about a subject! Don't type another to add info Etc, just reply, reply, reply on the original, so all are with the original! Is that it Alan? yes?-no?

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-19-2017 @ 3:03 PM
  It wasn't too much trouble to find the original thread, I just didn't understand the system.

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 07-19-2017 @ 3:52 PM
  Steve, I think you got it! It just keeps all the apples together, and the oranges in another thread under the title Oranges, etcetera.

Alan

sarahcecelia    -- 07-20-2017 @ 6:10 AM
  Thaks for the help Alan. I'm learning!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-21-2017 @ 4:50 PM
  Tom, nor Mike"Kubes" have answered this thread. Please reply.

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 07-22-2017 @ 7:46 AM
  Steve, you keep changing the post that you reply to for the same subject. I have no idea what you expect from the Forum or from those of us who are trying to help you, but when you scatter the topic among several posts, we cannot keep a logical stream of answers to your questions.

The people that answer questions on this Forum are volunteers and decide on their own, which questions and posts they will answer. Your previous post was rude and demanding, This Forum has always been for known for courteous posts and I for one would appreciate it if you keep this in mind before you post a comment.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 07-23-2017 @ 1:05 PM
  Mike "Kubes" Kubarth, I tested the new gauge, goes in the green when motor rev'd. Took the one in the car out. It had the grnd. strip on the passenger side connecting it and the oil gauge, and the oil gauge had a wire on the other post, and it always worked fine, but (2 )green / gray wires in one connector to the GROUNDED STRIP on the volt gauge!!?? and NO WIRE TO THE DRIVER SIDE TERMINAL??!! Yet that old gauge read? How could that happen?? Do those two wires go to the volt gauge ? I would really like to talk with you on the phone about this. This typing back and forth leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm sure you could set me straight on this in (5)minutes. I'm afraid to hook thse two wires to the gauge! H_E_L_P!!

Regards, Steve Lee

JayChicago    -- 07-23-2017 @ 7:00 PM
  Steve
Not to worry, you are going at it correctly. I thing Kubes misspoke when he called that strap a "ground" strap. In this case its actually a "hot" strap. Instead of a short piece of wire to get the power feed ("hot") from one gauge to the other, Ford used a copper strap. Its an unconventional way of doing things, we normally expect all hot feeds to be in insulated wires and exposed straps to be used only on grounds, but this is what Ford did in this case.

The two wires you see at the Batt gauge is the hot feed to all the gauges. One wire comes from the ignition switch to provide the power, and the other wire carries power over to the temp gauge, where another hot strap carries it up to the fuel gauge.

The Batt gauge doesn't have a ground wire because that gauge is going to ground right there, into the metal gauge panel/dashboard. The other three gauges require a remote sensor/sender, so the ground side terminal of those gauges each have a wire that goes to its sender.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10991